Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remnant

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jackalope polycounter lvl 11
Remnant is a school project i was a part of over the summer. It was not finished (at least not before i graduated) so i thought i would take what i made put it in a little scene, and polish it up to a professorial level for my portfolio.

here is my current blockout
blockout1.jpg

I for the walls i decided to practice some sculpting, so I have started a sculpted brick in mudbox.
stone1.jpg

I know its not much right now, so i dont really expect any feedback. Just wanted a place to motivate me to progress on this, and to eventually get some critiques.

Replies

• jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on sculpting some damaged props.
    damgagedprops.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    clearly the stuff that you've posted so far is by far improving towards the right direction. Though you could've decreased the poly rate in the first one.

The Brick and Pillar can use a bit of a noise if Mudbox has it.

Over all, nice work! :)
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you. what do you mean by poly rate though?
    and im assuming by noise you mean small texture detail? which i will definitely do that.

thanks again.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your damage looks very soft and almost clay like, stone doesn't really chip that way, if you added in some shaper detail this stuff would look great.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive been thinking about that, i was looking at some stone that was slowly worn away over a long period of time.
    But I think your right, I think i would really benefit by adding some sharpness.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on one of the pillars some more. Sharpened up some details.

damagedpillar.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NEED HELP!

worked on sculpting in some wrinkles to the robe... toga.. pillar thing

something doesn't look right, any help would be appreciated. also did a little damage sculpt, any crits on that would be cool.

wrinklesanddamage.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wasnt happy with the wrinkles, so i started over today. I also noticed a serious lack of anatomy in the sculpture, so i fixed that (i hope)

this is my current WIP of the wrinkles (ive only started the back so far)

wrinklesdoover.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on the wall a bit today.

wallbd.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on reworking the gate
    gatelt.jpg

also started on a balcony
    balconyk.jpg

i was advised by my friend that the support elements where unbalanced so i enlarged the counter curves to compensate.

new on the left, old on the right
    swirly.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on sculpting in the bricks into one of the sides of the gate
    gatehighworking.jpg
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    I dont think you need to sculpt in the section with the cracked wall where the bricks are showing. That can be done just by texturing.
    If you want depth just use a normal map on it.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cheese_Shinobi im sculpting in that detail for a few reasons. I am going to be able to sculpt in damage to the separate pieces so they coincide better, and i could use the practice.

Ive been working on the balcony. so here are the updates

37585530.jpg

balconysupport.jpg
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    I like the design in the banisters on your balcony, but the way they are made, they would not actually be able to support much weight. The top and bottom come to sharp points, they need thickness to be able to support the railing. It might also help to connect them together into a continuous object rather than stand alone pieces. If you don't connect them, then you could even out the spacing between them and make some damaged versions.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    So what's the plan here? UDK? Don't people use vertex painting and awesome texturing skills anymore? I get why you would use Zbrush but mainly for creating really unique stuff, or cool tiling-textures with a normal map that makes it look awesome.

This way you're gonna need to have unique textures for everything, it's a lot more work =/
    It's looking pretty sweet though :)
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey matt, I am going to have mor of those larger support pieces where there are gaps. So it looks more weight holding when they are there

Hey thanks for the reply Chrisradsby, i am planing on putting this in udk. I am using this project to mainly practice sculpting. That is why I am mostly doing that.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Jackalope, it would be nice if you posted your reference. Right now people can help you with your individual elements but I find it difficult to judge how those elements might come together to create your scene.

Your blockout is very WIP, very empty, and with no backdrop for the moment ; you should show us your inspiration and reference. If you tell us where you want to go, it will be easier for us to help you get there.

I think sculpting your damaged brick wall instead of going with vertex painting is a bad idea just because its not the way it's done professionally. If you show this to employers they will ask you why you did it that way, and you might find yourself in a tight spot...

If you're not familiar with vertex blending in UDK, here is a tutorial on basics. You can also check out Ryan Smith's advanced mesh painting technique tutorial or check this thread where he explains some of it.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I had a reference to show you, its just really the way the project worked. We were assigned some assets that would go into the level. Since it was never finished i wanted to polish up the assets i had created and make a little scene out of them. The only concepts i have are rough sketches of layout, and reference images for the individual pieces.
    My block out is empty with no backdrop because i don't plan on doing an entire environment, but instead do a diorama.
    I do know about vertex blending in UDK, but i decided to do it this way instead. Kevin Johnstone seems to do it this way for his gears of war pieces, so I thought there was precedent for it.
    I was thinking about doing the vertex blending, but to achieve a nice look i would have to sculpt some textures anyway, so I thought in the long run this way would save me some time.
    I dont say any of this to blow you off, just trying to explain where im coming from. I do value your input, and if you still feel like my decision to do it this way was wrong then ill reconsider.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, and it's up to you to decide.

I don't know how Kevin Johnstone works specifically, but I doubt he sculpts individual walls if they are damaged, that would be very time-inefficient. If this is supposed to be a portfolio piece I would go for vertex paint, because that's what is done in the vast majority of studios. I think you should just PM Kevin and ask him to come over here to help, he seems to be a nice guy, always eager to help, with great advice to give.

As for the diorama thing, I think it's unfortunate not to put your piece in a setting. It would really help sell it, even if it's just mountains or a desert or whatever.

Anyways,your call. You should definitely ask Kevin to take a look though, that would be of really great help :D !