Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Combat Rifle WIP

Hello peeps!

I've been working a while on building a combat rifle model, trying to teach myself high poly modeling in Maya... but I'm very unfamiliar with guns so I was hoping to get some advice and feedback before proceeding to build a low poly and texture the model. I've been working mostly based on the Magpul Masada combat rifle, but haven't had much luck finding good reference or close ups of the individual rifle components so I was forced to wing it with some of the details. Any feedback and/or crit would be greatly appreciated!

tempgz.jpg

temp2y.jpg

Replies

• Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm well I'm trying to figure out how to render that at the moment :p I'm used to working in 3DS max so I still stumble around Maya at times. I googled it and it said something about a contour tab under mental ray in the shading groups or something like that, but I can't seem to find it.. Will be tinkering around with this more so I'll hopefully get a wireframe up soon
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tempxv.jpg

Eh it'd be good for me to know how to properly do wireframe renders in Maya any ways. Not all of the loops show up in this render, but are there any spots in particular that you wanted to see so that I can get close-ups that will hopefully better show the wireframe?
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The grip is way too rectangular and wide. Looks very uncomfortable. Grips are usually rounded for comfort :)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    You need to find much better references. As well documented and as well known as the AR family of rifles is nowadays, there's no excuse for bad proportions in an AR rifle model, because everybody will be able to tell at a glance.

Places I see that need some major work - pistol grip, upper receiver, magazine, proportions of the ACOG, the railed forend, gas block and collapsable stock (looks like you have a Magpul stock of some sort on there). It's also missing the charging handle completely.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lot more refs for the upper receiver and the pistol grip needs a whole redo
    would love to see the other side of the gun
    it's not 100% accurate but it's a nice little spin off if you fix what i mentioned ^^
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all of the crits and feedback. I did some tweaking of the proportions after hunting around for more references, hopefully it's closer to what it should be:

temprender.jpg

Now working on fixing the modeling on what you guys pointed out. Silly question though, what's a charging handle O.o I tried googling it and all I saw on images were this rod... thingy, and I have no idea where it goes or what it does

n88tr: The gun is currently symmetrical so the other side isn't any different, though I did collect references of the right side and will be modeling it in soon. On the subject of the right side of the gun though, I'm having trouble determining the shape of this object:

28122714.jpg

Would anyone happen to know what it's called and/or its function so I can try to look up more on it?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think that's the chamber that releases the barrel of the bullet after it has been fired.
  • Ehnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehnn polycounter lvl 6
    I think the part is called a bolt carrier. it's often disassembled to be cleaned so you'll find a ton of pictures for it. it's in m16s too if you can't find it for that rifle
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    Charging handle:

Charging_Handle1.jpg
    GG-M4-ChargingHandle.jpg
    DPP_0002copy.jpg
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackalope: Ahh those help a ton, thank you!

Ehnn + glottis8: I was able to find some reference for the bolt carrier with that information. Thanks!

Will get working on having those modeled in now :)
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tempox.jpg

Really slow on the updates I know.. sorry :( Been working on stuff per studio application request so I had to put it aside for a while. Working on the low poly now, it's about 70% done. Have to get back to working on some environment stuff before I can resume this but thought I'd post it up here for crits so I can work on fixing them when I start this up again
  • ExpiredPopsicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExpiredPopsicle polycounter lvl 8
    This is a really minor thing, but that image you're using as a reference seems to have one of the California-style magazine release buttons invented to use something of a loophole in CA gun laws. These ones require someone to push the tip of a bullet or other tool into it to take the magazine out.

It looks like you've brought this into your model. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but the normal magazine release button sticks out a lot less and has less of a indentation in the middle.
  • Mr-Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ejection port is a little different on the real thing. What you saw as a bulge is actually an indentation, a round cut-out portion in the bolt. Also, your model lacks fencing around the magazine release, which is a really easy way to get detail onto that receiver.
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr-Jigsaw - Thank you for the feedback, I'll definitely make those changes on my next iteration but just to clarify:

Is the magazine release the button on the right side above the magazine? If so I see what you mean. I see where I got the bulge wrong, but I'm not sure what you mean by the round cut-out portion in the bolt
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foregrip looks a bit short and barrel [before the flash hider] too long