Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Bust

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Spiralface triangle
Hey all,

I've been out of work and looking for new opportunities, and wanted to update my folio with a nice sculpted bust. So here is a crack at it.

I still want to add some necklace's and jewelry to it to make it pop just a bit more, but I feel for the most part the sculpting is done.

Feel free to be brutally honest with it, as I am going to be using this to try to look for some solid work for the new year.

Replies

• keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not able to give criticism on the proportions and art other than I think it is pretty great, but you really need to slap some materials on her. Just slapping a simple SSS on the skin, a simple hair shader, and a simple color for the clothes would probably do wonders.

Good luck, and merry Christmas.
    -Tom
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    nice job dude! I dig it. I agree with Keres that shaders could help it a tad, at least worth giving it a shot.

I really like how you did the hair
  • Spiralface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiralface triangle
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, the materials are defiantly something that is in no way going to be as it is when I finalize the piece. I still have the tiny bits of jewelry to finish up and then I'll slap on some better materials and put it in an actual light rig and not just default zbrush.

I'm leaning away from having rough materials that approximate what it would be like shaded, because I don't want roughly hashed out materials that look like poor textures to get in the way of the model presentation. I'm leaning towards some kind of clay material to give the "sculpted" look to it. But I'm open to other ideas as long as it helps the presentation of the model.
  • Builder_Anthony
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Try RS_Greyclay for the matcap, I think it'd look sweet with that. Great sculpt!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    looks nice! tone down the chest if you can. a bit over the top. don't get me wrong... i'm a boob man, but if you want serious employers to take it seriously... tone down the boobs :\
    tone down the neck so it doesn't feel as strained as it comes into the clavicle. make it feel nice and smooth and round up until right before it hits the clavicle.
    face is nice... nose feels a bit masculine but that's about it.... the outside corner of the eyes maybe? there's a crease that goes riding back towards the temple that feels unnatural... define the eyebrows a bit more...
    the hair is great and so is the cloth! nice!!!!!!
    i don't think you really need to worry about color or anything like that... just find a good matcap... take out the "range" gradient from your zbrush document... resize it to a huge size that fits the dims of your model (i.e. if it is a torso, make a vertical canvas, if it is a tank, make it a horizontal canvas) and redraw your tool... render with lots of light rays, and then scale it down in photoshop to smooth out the aliasing.... just make sure you export your document after you hit "0" which takes the document to half-res or something like that.... exporting while zoomed all the way out will save your render at a very small image size.... i can't believe this bug still exists... but it does. and you may know all this... but in case you don't... just putting it out there.... you got skillz! keep it up!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Love the hair, it's very stylish and playful - although I think there's a bit of a sharp transition between straight and curly on the back side. If I were you, I'd also play around with the upper lip, making it shorter. Either push the mouth up, or make the nose longer, I think both can work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Agree with Fire's critics here cept I'd say the boobs need to be correct - this scale thing is nonsense. They're currently propped-up unnaturally so... squish them down, shape'em up, just find ur mass and let gravity do the rest. I think there's too much of them towards the center (the cloth doesn't feel so tight to hold them so, at least) and they start too low and abruptly for their size, suggesting silicon or smt.
    Maximum ask someone to pose for a sec. It's ok, tell her u'r an artist.
  • Spiralface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiralface triangle
    Happy New Years everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry for the lack up updates, but with the holidays and a short contract coming in it was hard for me to get to this.

I've tried to address all the feedback that I've been given, I toned down the chest, but I still want it to have a "pinup" look to it in the end, so I might have to tone it down a bit more, but I want to throw it out there as is to see what people think.

I'm not all to happy with some of the angles of the renders, (Especially the face angle compared to what I originally posted.) But seeing how long these take to render due to the custom shaders, I wanted to get a template for what will be the final presentation out there in case there is anything else that should be addressed before I stamp this one done.

Let me know what you guys think of the updated model, renders, and presentation, as I'm coming up on getting ready to stamp this one done.