Home General Discussion

Costumes: the Wearable Dialog

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
Aaron Diaz, the writer of the webcomic Dresden Codak, made an interesting blog post recently about elements that go into the design of comic characters. It's a worthwhile read if you're interested in character design since a lot of the same rules that apply to comic characters also apply to game characters.

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/2413085571/costumes-the-wearable-dialog

Replies

• wailingmonkey
    nice one...thanks for sharing, Swizzle. :)
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Nice read. Thanks for sharing.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe it's always cool to see who shares taste in webcomics. :). Read this earlier today and thought the same thing. Great reference for overall approach.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, anyone have any more resources like this, specifically about color schemes?

I've been looking for more information on color in general, and really enjoyed the stuff this guy wrote in the article.

I keep finding tutorials about the physics of light, how it behaves and whatnot. Which is fine, but I'm looking for something written from a production viewpoint. How to apply it to a design, that kind of stuff.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    @Bigjohn: So you're looking for design color therory?
    Start with a search on Color Psychology. Most of what Mr. Diaz mentions in there is related to the psychological effects of color interaction more than the physical.

Some of it is physical, like the green of the one character's dress complementing her warmly toned skin. Thats just a standard analagous color scheme.

Also I noticed a good show for this topic today while waiting for an oil change. Watch an episode or so of "The Fresh Beat Band" on NickJr with the sound off. The overall characterization of that show is really well produced and controlled. Individuating characters in shape, motion and especially color, while keeping to an overall kid friendly happy theme.
    Its impressive how they keep the characters consistent even through multiple outfit changes.