Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - Phil101 - Modeller

http://phil101.carbonmade.com

Hi there I am new to this forum and I was recommended to get some critique on my work here by my game design tutors. I need to get my portfolio ready for applying for industry placements for my 3rd year so I am open to all suggestions.

Kind regards,
Phil101

Replies

• Phil101
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think i remember looking at some of your work before. Your website is simple and shows art which is important. But i think you are still lacking in work. Your planes look great, but the scene which should be a big area of your portfolio is lacking in my opinion. You should go back to it and really polish it... look at some other peoples portfolio and see what they are doing with their projects. Things that help is process... in the game industry we like to see process, so show us different aspects of your work, like textures and meshes with wire on it. The more technical you are, the better candidate you will be. So spend a little more time really putting more props and a new scene together. I am sure that with some quality work you will be on a good path.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some pretty good stuff, but in my opinion you have nothing that really stands out. Get something interesting in there that would make you stand out from the rest.

If you're trying to get into the game industry, you might want to show your model in a game engine. I know for your Pave Low Helicopter, you mentioned it was intended for UT3. However it's hard to tell if your shot is from your 3D program, or from the unreal engine. Maybe put right in the image "rendered in the Unreal Engine" so people are aware you know the pipeline from 3D program to game engine.

Also some of your textures look kind of dull (the Pave Low and B17). Put in more detail and sharpen them.

The poly count for your Tornado GR4 can be reduced. I noticed you had a lot of polys on your window and wheels. You could definitely get away with lowering that poly count.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I think i remember looking at some of your work before. Your website is simple and shows art which is important. But i think you are still lacking in work. Your planes look great, but the scene which should be a big area of your portfolio is lacking in my opinion. You should go back to it and really polish it... look at some other peoples portfolio and see what they are doing with their projects. Things that help is process... in the game industry we like to see process, so show us different aspects of your work, like textures and meshes with wire on it. The more technical you are, the better candidate you will be. So spend a little more time really putting more props and a new scene together. I am sure that with some quality work you will be on a good path.

Thanks for your feedback. Could you be a bit more specific regarding the scene. One of my tutors said the only thing he could think of was scratches on the floor and coffee stains on the desks.

You also mention about how industry people like to see a process which is lacking on my control room environment without model sheets and wires but I have included model sheets and wires in most of the aircraft and facial models.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burrill wrote: »
    You have some pretty good stuff, but in my opinion you have nothing that really stands out. Get something interesting in there that would make you stand out from the rest.

If you're trying to get into the game industry, you might want to show your model in a game engine. I know for your Pave Low Helicopter, you mentioned it was intended for UT3. However it's hard to tell if your shot is from your 3D program, or from the unreal engine. Maybe put right in the image "rendered in the Unreal Engine" so people are aware you know the pipeline from 3D program to game engine.

Also some of your textures look kind of dull (the Pave Low and B17). Put in more detail and sharpen them.

The poly count for your Tornado GR4 can be reduced. I noticed you had a lot of polys on your window and wheels. You could definitely get away with lowering that poly count..

Cheers, you made a great point about the Tornado glass and wheels. I was about to fix it this weekend as its the end of semester. I noticed I missed something pretty big on the starboard side which is the air refuelling boom. It was missed because my plane was referenced from the Tornado on display at Cosford, turns out that's a prototype Tornado.