Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun Model WIP

Heya guys,

I'm working on a model for my high-poly modeling final project for class; I chose to do a gun, with the prop "Mercy" from the game Darksiders as my reference to work off of. I just thought it was an interesting model to try with some pretty cool aspects and shapes.

Here's my high and low poly models:

2qv46xf.jpg

2ueil9j.jpg

And, here's my low poly with my normal map applied (and the normal map itself, in case anyone was interested in seeing that):

eu1xkp.jpg

2ds4lrn.jpg

I do apologize in advance if the images are really big; when I rescale them, they don't seem to keep the scale I set them too. ):

Feedback and critique is greatly appreciated! I'm starting on my textures now, so any tips on some good texture ideas would also be really cool. Thanks, guys!

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like if your Green Channel was inverted.
  • Vivetriquette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like if your Green Channel was inverted.

I don't quite know what you mean... can you elaborate for me?
  • Vivetriquette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya guys,

Got to a finishing point with my prop. Here's a shot of my color map with some AO and other stuff:

246lu07.jpg

Aaand, here's my finished prop from UDK with some specularity going and everything:

ilinm8.jpg

Any other critique and comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, guys!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Right now I see Base metal, crazybump render, and AO. And red.

Get cracking on some real texture painting.

The grip needs more love. Grooves, design, something.

You had a bunch of really cool ideas for a design style stuff along the barrel...there's no reason you couldn't paint that stuff in Photoshop and overlay it, including the normals.

Get some color variation in there. The entire gun shouldn't be "silvery-gray". Some parts should be darker, others lighter, others made of a different surface entirely. Google "pistol" and look at some interesting color choices available.

If you wanted to go for gray "chromy" look on parts of it, you could add some subtle reflection as well.

Do a search on this forum for "gun" and other related terms and look at the wealth of feedback and suggestions other people have made for previous gun models before yours.
  • Vivetriquette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott wrote: »
    Right now I see Base metal, crazybump render, and AO. And red.

Get cracking on some real texture painting.

The grip needs more love. Grooves, design, something.

You had a bunch of really cool ideas for a design style stuff along the barrel...there's no reason you couldn't paint that stuff in Photoshop and overlay it, including the normals.

Get some color variation in there. The entire gun shouldn't be "silvery-gray". Some parts should be darker, others lighter, others made of a different surface entirely. Google "pistol" and look at some interesting color choices available.

If you wanted to go for gray "chromy" look on parts of it, you could add some subtle reflection as well.

Do a search on this forum for "gun" and other related terms and look at the wealth of feedback and suggestions other people have made for previous gun models before yours.

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely use these pointers!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    The Green Channel on your normal map my be inverted, from Y- to Y+ or vice versa. i would work more with the high poly model, right now it looks undone. thats why your normal maps looks flat.
  • Vivetriquette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Green Channel on your normal map my be inverted, from Y- to Y+ or vice versa. i would work more with the high poly model, right now it looks undone. thats why your normal maps looks flat.

Alright cool, thanks!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Very well done on using your tris in a very optimized way, but I really think you can spare more on certain parts, like the grip, edges, and especially the barrel. Right now the whole model is coming off as very hard and blocky. My eye keeps being drawn towards the barrel, which needs for more than 10 sides, and has some serious normal map errors on it.

Also, like others said, you really need to break up all of the grey with more color and texture detail.
  • Vivetriquette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz wrote: »
    Very well done on using your tris in a very optimized way, but I really think you can spare more on certain parts, like the grip, edges, and especially the barrel. Right now the whole model is coming off as very hard and blocky. My eye keeps being drawn towards the barrel, which needs for more than 10 sides, and has some serious normal map errors on it.

Also, like others said, you really need to break up all of the grey with more color and texture detail.

Cool, thanks for the input! I'll see what I can do!
  • Vivetriquette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya guys,

I worked a lot more on the textures, and I tried to break up the shapes of the metals with color variations and put in more texture detail in the metals and grip, as Ott and Razgriz suggested. I also added in the design I had referenced from the concept image I used on the barrel of the gun, also as Ott suggested I do.

As for my normal map, I wasn't able to get much more out of it due to a really crappily-working and always-lagging computer, but I'm still working on that to see what I can do.

Here's my new textures and screenshots of my model done in UDK:

6rm5qx.jpg

nm134o.jpg

Thank you guys for your critique, I think it looks a lot better than what I had before, I really appreciate it! Any other critiques would be awesome!