Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texture crits

Hey guys,

iv been modelling for a while now and i feel i have the modelling aspectdown, iv modelled low and high poly stuff and am happy with the results i have gotten.

however i have never followed through and textured an object and used normal maps etc, so i watched a tutorial from cgtuts and then set about replicating what i had seen. prior to this my knowlege of photoshop was almost zero so it was a fun learning process.

Anyway im rambling, i am here looking for you to tell me what you think of my textures etc, yes i did follow what i learned in a tut but i tried to add variation where i could.

5263292641_a8aa56b085.jpg
Dumpster_1 by Noxain, on Flickr

5263292789_858cbf9291.jpg
dumpster_2 by Noxain, on Flickr

5263293379_d360f30510.jpg
dumpster_Diffuse by Noxain, on Flickr

5263293069_3dd105e40d.jpg
dumpster_Normals by Noxain, on Flickr

5263293205_9dd8218f12.jpg
dumpster_Specular by Noxain, on Flickr

Thanks in advance :)
Noxain

Replies

• Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any texture sizes?
  • Noxain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2048x2048

was what the tut said to do
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think there is a lot more that you can do with your textures... think that usually this kind of dumpsters are picked by metal handles on garbage trucks... so a lot of the sides are scratched, bumped.. dirty, grime from garbage bags. It looks like a good base, but you still lack the detail that would give your prop a background and placement. Your spec is just not doing anything for your model right now, this causes your normal map to not show on your metal. This is a good start and a lot of potential for a prop. Just look for more reference and expand on your details, and look for tutorials on how to make a decent spec for metal. You can do wonders with them.
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a beginning piece the texturing is good but what you have to realise is that 2048x2048 is a massive allowance for texturing a dumpster. After doing one this size I'd say continue practicing and scaling down your dimensions to something more reasonable, the best you could ever do is probably 256x256. Great start if you've never used Photoshop before, take what you've learnt and try and keep applying the techniques that work the most.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    This looks quite good. Overall it's a little on the dark side, and I think it would read more clearly if the green parts were a little brighter. I'm kind of surprised that the black plastic/rubber lid part is brighter on the specular than the metal green parts. I'm no dumpster afficiando, but I kind of expect it to be the other way around? I also don't know if you'd want the paper signs to be that bright on the specular either.

Anyway, great start to texturing!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really solid start. I agree that it may be a little dark overall. Even with a spotlight on shining on it, it appears very dark. Don't be afraid to lighten up your textures and let the lighting of the environment take care of the brightness.
  • Noxain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments :)

Addieo: thank you :) i realised when he said 2048x2048 that it was abit on the large size but as i wanted to follow the tut i did the same as him :) i will try with smaller textures next time. so 256x256 is the biggest i should b getting? even for say an fps game where people may well be hiding behind this object and so getting very close? like i say this is my first texture so im abit clueless on sizing :p

Haikai and Sean_EG: thank you for your comments: yea it could prob use abit of lightening, i think i over compensated, at one point i felt it was too bright so i guess i went too far the other way :p i was as supprised as you that the tut said the plastic bit should b lighter, although iv never made a spec map b4 i kinda figured they should b the other way round, but as i clearly didnt know any better than the tutorial guy i just obayed :p the only thing i can thing of was that in his reference image the plastic did look kinda shiny and the metal looked quite dull. as for the paper i didnt notice it was that bright until now :p that should get fixed
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    256x256 seems like a good size imo, someone else opinion would be more valid as I'm only 99% sure. When I first started making textures and applying them I had no idea about size limits or what the good size limits were so your doing better than me. I'd try just to start downsizing as you go along, don't rush it. I did some low poly work in Uni this year and it really made me realise that I had to keep an eye on texture sizes. We had to make 16x16 tilable objects for environments :| so yeh I wish I had a 2048 :P