Home Technical Talk

UDK - export from maya (best way)

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Sharvo keyframe
Hello all,

Well, i understand how to export from maya using actorX to get the correct file, i am ok putting in single files and creating my materials and lighting it.

However, i am now working on an environment with loads of objects in it everything is to the correct size/measurements as udk. But, i dont know how to export it in a sufficient way, i did a test of selecting everything and exporting, which works, but when in udk everything gets highlighted when i click on something, which i guess means i can only have one material not sure if this is correct? Or would i have to import everything individually?

I really dont know how to o about this as i said earlier i am pretty new to udk, i have followed tutorials but none seem to explain multiple or loads of objects in one go.

Thanks,

Simon

Replies

• elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    When exporting for an environment you have to see which props you use over again, like for example a crate. Export it once and place all the copies in UDK itself so it makes use of it's instance system. This will also help you if you want to change some stuff, so you can just move that crate around in UDK instead of going back to maya, changing the position and exporting everything again.

You can have multiple materials per object, if you double click on an object in the generic browser you will have multiple material slots.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like you're just importing your whole scene as one object into UDK. AFAIK there is not way around importing one mesh at a time with the correct pivot unless you want to switch to FBX and script up a batch FBX exporter (but that also crops up some problems). Though in UDK, once you have all your static meshes saved to a folder, you can batch import them. The reason it has one material is that UDK thinks your whole scene is one giant mesh but if you were to import individually you can assign materials to each mesh.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Ah ok, that clarified everything up for me thanks very much for the feedback will definatly come in handy once i get it all into udk, gotta unwrap first though :P