Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

udk scene....crit

ADMIN EDIT: Resize your image and try again.

Replies

• Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too small. Can you post a bigger image perhaps?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    First off, I think you just destroyed the entire FIOS connection to my house with your image size. Lets knock that down a notch, eh?

You might want to explain a bit more about whats going on here, right now this is not a scene, just a poorly presented asset. You really need to show this thing off in some proper lighting if you want proper crits on modeling/texturing.

As it is, I don't understand the weird green tiled floor, the dark blue cast shadow, or the obviously tiled brick wall. If you're planning on making this an actual scene, these need to be addressed.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the wall texture looks straight photosourced with shadows and lighitng info in it still and doesnt tile by the looks of it. the lighting is blowing out the highlights and there are lots of crushed blacks in the image making it look muddy.

your texture density looks a bit inconsistent with some things looking super blurry and others pretty crisp. post a smaller image and also another angle of the chair to get some better crits.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    lol, 5k x 5k px image ftw.

The unnecessarily large image award goes toooo....
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    There's not a chance you could be serious
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you relied a little too heavily on images for materials.
    The lighting in the brick diffuse is fighting your scene lighting.
    You have a horrible seam running down the wall.
    The floor tile doesn't appear to be bumped or spec mapped, if they are its not working correctly or you plugged in the diffuse which is pretty dark and mute the spec.
    The spec on the chair is out of control, the wood texture shows that its worn in places but the spec rides rough shot right over those wear patterns... so they re-varnished an old chair without refinishing it?
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    self...crit...also known as "common sense"

that, or you're just starting and wanted to get bashed by PC. Not telling us what you've tried to achieve with this, references or anything that could help us judge your work better is not helping this thread.

...or a troll.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Vig, I think the chair is just a flat picture. It doesn't even look 3D.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    lots of work to be done into this one. Like everyone said, it looks like you just photoshoped a picture from cg textures on to your env. It looks kinda glossy... and it has no or little personality. What are your plans for this?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    5000x5000 zomg

almost broke my screen there lol
    Whats with the weird specs? is that your spec map?
    Can you show us your texture map after you've fixed some tips the pros have suggested above
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Vig, I think the chair is just a flat picture. It doesn't even look 3D.

http://www.blackstate.com/electric-chair.jpg
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    neah it's 3d, there's a high poly chair on his other posts. The investigation continues...
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    I think this has a lot of potential. If you added an emissive map on your green tiles it would really improve them and give them a certain Tron feel, and it would tie in nicely with your wonderful purple shadow. Also thanks for that 5k image, it fits nicely in my brand-new quadruple 250 inch monitor setup.

Looking forward for more updates!
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Urbanmelon, you sure know how to whip up a nice cup of sarcasm :d
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you hate when people are assholes instead of trying to help?

Anyway, if I remember correctly from other forums, your model was actually looking pretty nice. It's the texturing that is bringing the scene down. It's helpful to look at the work of others, or work that you see in actual games, and then compare it to your own.

There is nothing wrong with using photosourced textures, as a base. Virtually all realistic games use photosourcing, but the photos are heavily manipulated, almost to the point where you can't even recognize them as the original. Once you found the image you want to use as a base, take it into photoshop and manipulate the hell out of it. Remove shading, run adjustments, fix the levels, combine it with other textures etc. until it matches the type of feel you are going for.

Texturing isn't supposed to be a 5 minute process. Actually, it can be the most important step in the entire creation of the scene. A flat plane can look amazing with a decent texture on it. Taking the time to do things such as remove shading from the diffuse, or create a normal out of the image using a filter on things such as the wall and floor, would improve this scene drastically.

Keep on working man, and don't get discouraged by the haters :)

P.S. The image size IS a little on the large size, lol. Just makes it easier for us to spot mistakes ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyone who feel like they're missing out on the joke now: http://img262.imageshack.us/f/udkelectricchairscene02.jpg/
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus christ, what the f*ck :D blue shadows....green tiles.....and a huuuuge seam on the backwall. I cant really tell but the model looks great from a modelling perspective. but its really hard to make out anything.