Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Battle Axe

Hey all I would like any advice on the following model. This is an excercise to improve my texturing. The programs I use are Maya, 3D Coat and Photoshop.

Thanks to Dan Scott for providing the concept art.

war_axe_reference.jpgaxe_side_texturev01.pngaxe_persp_texturev01.png

Replies

• Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, currently your metal is reading like stone and looks a little too patchy aswell, also the actual grip is too uniform if you look at the concept its not wrapped perfectly.

I know you said this was to get better at texturing but think places like the shaft could do with a few more divisions just to help sell the shape.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    texture is too noisy and bright right now - the base material should be in the midrange, like 50% brightness - also replicate the designs from the concept, you've got a dragon design going on when the concept features an eye.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    also there are bolts above the handle which you dont feature...
    and the knob is only black.
    the colors are way off, too...

is this for ingame or a render only?
    because if latter i would guess going a step back and modeling out more details would be neccessary...
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah whats with the cop-out on the chaos eye design? model that out and maybe bake some normals from it. I know your just starting, but if you can flex out stuff like this then theres really no reason to push this as far as you can. Now days, a big part of texturing an object has to do with the high poly information in the normal map, and all the sweet information that can be pulled from it for your textures. Also metal needs an environment map to look like metal. A spec map helps- but specular highlights lack the reflection detail that metal needs to be convincing.
  • AjdinBarucija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THe details of the texture and modeling could be sharper
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your constructive comments and advice. I agree that the metal looks more like stone. How do I make it look more like metal? Should I adjust my shader in maya to look more metallic or should I apply a shinier metal in photoshop?

As for the eye designs I was planning to do those using a normal map later. My goal is to make a low poly game ready weapon.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, you would need to use a spec map really to get the metal to pop more.

And i think you are maybe overestimating what a normal map is going to be able to do. There are a few forms from the concept that i really think you need to model in, but in saying that if you are going to try normal map stuff on i would have thought you would have been better off just running with a high poly and baking the normals and ao from that onto your low poly.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with Elith2, you should do a hipoly model and bake the normals and AO from it, it would be a much, much better way to do it. In current game meshes that's the way it is always done.
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment this is a very boxy item, not sure if anyones mentioned it but chamfering those edges down a bit would be my firs start. A handle would never be square. Just repeating what everyone else said, but the normal map will be key if you want the awesomeness. Keep plugin it, good start though.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It seems like you completely ignored the ref after modeling the basic shape. Go back and add the details you cut out, like the uneven wrapping, the metal beam bolted to the shaft, the eye, the ridges and planes of the blade, etc. You've also made it completely boxy, rather than round - even a 4-sided cylinder (which is just a box) rotated 45 degrees from what you have will make it look more round.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I am convinced that I do need to go back to the modeling stage and model out the Chaos Eye. Unffortunately my laptop does not have the video card capable of baking so I've been using Crazy bump to get my normal maps.

I'm going to model the eye as low poly as I can and I will also model out the inner metal beam on the shaft to make a place for the the bolts. Should I use bevel on the edges or should I add an edgeloop and scale in to get the rounder edges? What is better practice and more preffered in the industry?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    are you tryiong to hit the warhammer style or are you just using the concept? If you are going for the warhammer style then i would forget normals and just add alot more geometry to the bad boy!
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to make a game asset, baking is an important skill to know. What solutions have you tried for baking ? From what you say (about your video card being not powerful enough), I assume you tried xNormal, right ? Have you tried Maya's built-in baking tools ? Those should work since they just use CPU power.
  • Animesh
  • The Umbrella Man
    If you are looking to do this with just a diffuse, my advice is to work on lighting, and less with the noise and grime, then use noise and dirt as a blending layer above your lighting info.

I started out texturing low poly art with simple diffuses because my downfall was understanding light and shadow. You seem to be suffering from the same handicap. The model doesn't have a normal or spec, just a diffuse, and that is fine if that's what you want to start with. I wouldn't really recommend going the normal route right now until you learn more about how light affects objects because that is essential to your knowledge of what to model detail wise and what to leave to normals.

This is a great starting point. You have all the right elements to start making things look great, so now you need to start asking yourself some questions:

1. What direction is my light coming from. I would assume overhead, but never directly over head. Always at a slight angle.

2. What does the light do to my object once it hits my object? If the object is metal, it's going to reflect a ton of light, so the highlights on the metal will be very bright in some spots, and non existent in others. For the leather handle, it will reflect some light, but will absorb other light, which means you will get a good grainy spread of light.

3. Where are the shadows going to be? Usually underneath edges where light doesn't reach. Start a new layer in photoshop and start blocking out your highlights and shadows based on that question.

I only say stick with diffuse for now only because it's the route I went, and I learned a ton from it. I'm not the nest artist yet, but I'm getting better because I don't shy away from the challenges of learning.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmmh, I see, those are pretty funky, but at least you can render something out. Could you post your hipoly, lowpoly and cage (if you used a cage) obj files so I can run some tests on my machine ?
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Maya render seems to suck at bringing out normal maps i'm not sure why and there may be a way to solve that issue but i know the basic settings just seem to fall apart with a normal map, what I do is view my model in high quality mode once the normal map is on and it should bring it out okay. Might be worth a try.

But it is atleast doing a transfer.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's what I meant by my video card wont allow baking. I can't view in High Quality. It says "Warning high quality rendering mode is not supported by the graphics card. I tried to attach the .obj but the file is not supported by polycount and my blog wont allow .obj files either. I tried a search to see how I can post .obj files but came up with nothing can anyone help me out?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to model this in high poly then bake it down but is that possible without viewing the normals in high quality?
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems hard to work with a normal map without seeing it...:/ How do you even play games if your card is unable to display normals ? I think you should do the hipoly model anyways, it would help you improve your modeling skills even if you won't be able to bake it. For the .obj files, just put them into a .zip or a .rar and upload them on megaupload or mediafire or something similar, and post the links.
  • Animesh
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havn't beveled the edges yet, I just wanted to block it and get some feedback before I do so
  • The Umbrella Man
    Looks good to me, just make sure the center part, where the eye is supposed to be, is rounded when all is said and done.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some more progress pics, I'm starting to model out the eye. Would anybody like to share their technique on how to do so. The technique that I usually use is to create a face where the hole is and keep extruding out and in until it looks like a rounded eye. Is this ok or is there a more preferred way?
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a wireframe shot would help, as you could have the worst edgeflow in the world while still having remodeled the shape...
    we got a "how you model dem shapes" stickie in the technical talk forum, maybe some of the techniques described there will inspire you?
    but i think extruding isnt THAT off....
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start, just take your time, if you rush it, you won't be satisfied.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well now that christmas is over I've been able to get back at it. I finished modeling the eye section. Here are my progress pics.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm modeling this using quads if you wanted to know.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all sorry for the lack of updates. I just finished modeling the handle. I decided to add the leather straps into the geometry rather than just depending on the bump map which was the original idea. Let me know what you all think :)
  • Builder_Anthony
    The grip has a nice feel to it.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, thats a good start on the handle...
    the ornament thing looks a little ragged until now... (or is rough the better term?)
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good to hear, I will be posting the axe head in high poly soon.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is the hp version of the entire axe.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    gettin there. your going to need far more edge definition if you hope to bake out anything worthwhile though
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks, I am trying to find a good base metal texture to use on the chaos eye. I want a forged metal look but I can't seem to find any. Can anybody suggest a site where I can find good metals used for older weapons?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This is a Warhammer axe. You don't find pictures to overlay on it, you hand paint that metal like a man. Look up Jfletcher's hand painting tuts
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Probably all of the sources you'll ever need for textures:
    http://www.cgtextures.com/
    http://www.imageafter.com/
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the axe fully modeled and painted.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some things I think you can improve :)

-The iron part seems very lumpy and soft. Depending on the type of material, it can of course have irregular noise/shapes to it, but usually with something iron it is pretty chiseled I think, rather than lumpy.

-The scratches appear like segmented little dots

-Texturing in general seems kind of soft and blurry. The blood is probably the biggest offender and would look much better if they had some defined shape/splatter like the concept. For the iron itself, I would use a grunge map with defined patterns (overlay some kind of iron/metal photo, or use a brush) to get colour variation rather than using some kind of random soft fractal type texture. You can see this is apparent in the concept as well, as well as if you look at real world examples.

-Some AO/dirt in the crevices and where parts of the iron butt up with other parts would help improve a sense of volume.

-The rust/dirt running under neath the bolts probably shouldn't be sculpted in but rather just diffuse/specular components.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, I'm not quite sure what AO/dirt is, do you have an example?
    - The scratches are kind of pixelated because Zbrush wont let me increase the polys past 5X the original, I'm not sure how I can fix that.
    -Would I use the smoothing tool to remove the lumpiness or how would be the best way to do so?
    - Do you know of a older weapons texturing tutorial I can refer to?
  • Animesh
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO is ambient occlusion.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "-Some AO/dirt in the crevices and where parts of the iron butt up with other parts would help improve a sense of volume."

I don't understand what this is. I know what AO is but what do you mean by AO/ dirt in the crevices? Is that like painting extra dirt into the AO areas?

I referenced from the DT video of Game Weapons Creation when making this in case you wanted to know where I got my techniques from.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crevices have dirt and is darker in those type of areas, known as ambient occlusion. What he means is that places where each piece of the model connects needs some dirt and grunge. The ambient occlusion map helps you define where those places are because they bake out a map that lets you know where those places intersect.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animesh, check this out: Pavel Petrenko's Thread I think it could be really beneficial for you to take some time and really check out that thread. Pavel does a damn good job of getting all of the materials to read really well and shares some tips along the way. Not to mention they all look completely badass when he finishes them.

I understand that you want to make this axe look like it has been through hell and back, but I think in this case it may be a bit overboard. A lot of the details just seem to be slapped on because you were having fun in zbrush. I'm pretty sure it is safe to say we are all guilty of that at some point, it is just way too easy to go crazy with the details.

I agree with popngear on a lot of the issues with this axe. Before you go and add all the battle scars and blood to this weapon, I think it could be really beneficial if you take some time to find references for the materials on the axe. Get those base materials reading properly with a diffuse and spec, then subtely add the details the tell the story of the weapon, scratches, blood, etc.

Hope that helps. I'll be looking forward to your next update to see where you take this.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for clearing that up for me, that does make sense. I looked around for some tut on making an ao map in Zbrush but couldn't find one. Does anyone know of a good one?

I checked out Pavel Petrenko's Thread I think I will approach the texturing again but instead of adding the detail in Zbrush, I will just add a base color and export the diffuse map to Photoshop. There I will start painting in the detail then add an AO map over it to add dirt and what not to the crevices. What do you think about this way of approaching it?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a good approach to this? How would you do this?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any advice on the approach?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, here are the uv layouts I have for the axe head and handle. I know that in order to have good textures a good uv layout is necessary. So these are the layouts, should I start texturing now or do these uv layouts not work?

Also when I do start to texture, where is a good place to start such as what materials to use like a base metal picture or what? Like I said I'm a total noob when it comes to textures so any help would be appreciated.