Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roller CAT

Ozyrryz
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Ozyrryz polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone. This is my first post here on polycount.

I'd like to hear what you guys think. I'm always looking to get better.

9685 triangles
3x textures 2048x2048, diffuse, specular, normal
Soft: 3ds max, Photoshop, Toolbag, Crazybump

Thanks!

90376987.jpg

62294368.jpg

48185406.jpg

54442179.jpg

45739371.jpg

Replies

• Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    It looks pretty good, but it's hard to judge without any ref to compare it with...Sooo could you post your reference ?
  • Ozyrryz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozyrryz polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for response, it's based on CAT CS56.

Here some refs (much more in google):

img0680h.jpg

catcs56.jpg

catcs56.jpg

cs56.jpg

cs56fcs00104003.jpg

cs56fcs00104004.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    I think that looks rather spectacular on the first view.
    Then 1-2 things came to my eye on a closer look.
    That sand/dirt stripe on the front bar looks really artificially straight. From what I gather from your references It could be either fine stone/sand or a raw gravel, either way it shouldn't be so straight and transparent - I don't know, it looks a bit rushed to me ;)
    Same goes for the side bars holding the roller and the rear bumper. The edgework is rather lastminute looking and not as well executed as most of the other parts of the texture. I think overall it's like you are at 90% and could invest some more time in these smaller things. Maybe even a slight and tiny normal mapping effect on these bigger scratches on the mentioned areas ?

But overall that's hardcore nitpicking. From a normal distant view it looks absolutely fabulous, nobody will ever get that close.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool man- nice presentation. although I wish some of the details (bolts) had deeper information in the normals. Also some of the edge treatment seems non existent. I know in some of the ref you posted, the vehicle has some really clean, un-chipped edges. The problem with following ref like this, and subsequently not putting any wear on the edges in your texture, is your not accounting for the fact that in life, things aren't built out of polygons.
    Polygons create these super sharp, 90 degree angle edges, and when light rolls across them it treats it as such. In real life there is always a little rounding on edges (unless your making razor blades or broken glass). In your texture you can fake this either with some carefully baked normals, OR just straight painting some light wear on the edges. It will help make things FAR less CG and a more believable end result.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    I think what's said above is pretty good advice. The only things I would have to add is that you could have gone with less polys on some places like the tires and wheels (I think too many edgeloops), the engine cover part (in which some polys aren't really needed)or the door (I don't think you needed to model the handle). You could have saved some topo on the inside and let the normal map handle the details, especially since that in a game environment, the player wouldn't be able to get real close to the inside anyways.

In most of the reference the grooves in the tires are darker than the dirt-covered tread. I think you should replicate this in your texture, it would make the tread pop out, give it more volume, because right now it looks flat.

But in the end, it's very well done. Honestly the thing that bothers the me most about it is that it's just a construction machine. It's not the most interesting object in the first place, it doesn't have much personality...