Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st 6 months in the Games industry

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I used to post on here all the time, then I got a job actually making games and all of a sudden I dont have the time to post on here haha. So after 6 months of working for Neon Play making game apps for the itunes store I think its about time I did a little review of what Ive been up to. Some of it Im really proud of, some of it Im not so proud of for one reason or another, I guess thats just the way it goes for us artists, we dont always get to spend the time and effort we want on the things we would like to.

So in order of most recent first here is a list of the mobile games I have released with Neon Play since around June. For the 1st four months we sometimes collaborated with a freelance designer for interface and design but sometimes it was just me doing everything until recently we hired another artist/designer which is great.

Its been a pretty crazy year, this list only includes things that I consider fun or game like as this is a game art forum but we did also realease a number of celebrity apps and a business/marketing app.

I really didnt intend to go into the mobile gaming industry and my portfolio was full of normal mapped stuff and the likes but it turns out its a pretty fun job and not a bad industry to be in right now. The hardest part of it all has got to be the responsibility, Ive quit my job in a big marketing/design company where I was a small cog in the corporate machine, now all of a sudden Im basically the lead artist even if the whole dev team is only 7 people.

Anyway hope you like the art and maybe you would like to try some of the games, alot of them are free anyway with ad banners.

Fat Santa (free)

fatsanta1.jpg

fatsanta2.jpg

fatsanta3.jpg

fatsanta4.jpg

fatsanta5.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsaJx3q7FA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fat-santa/id404788886?mt=8

Talking Baby

talkingbaby1.jpg

talkingbaby2.jpg

talkingbaby3.jpg

talkingbaby4.jpg

talkingbaby5.jpg

itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/talking-baby/id384921089?mt=8

Paper Glider (free)

paperglider1.jpg

paperglider2.jpg

paperglider3.jpg

paperglider4.jpg

paperglider5.jpg

itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/paper-glider/id384044746?mt=8

Replies

• Ged
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Thanks for sharing. I'm actually quite interested in the mobile market and I am working on my own Iphone game with a friend.

Seeing that baby game for the first time I cringed but it's fascinating how there's always someone who enjoys these sort of things after seeing the comments on Itunes. I've seen some real shit games in my time and yet they get 5 stars :D
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I just got paper glider :)

It looks pretty man :)

difficult to get the hang of though!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Need to sell these on Android :(
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Habboi wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. I'm actually quite interested in the mobile market and I am working on my own Iphone game with a friend.

Seeing that baby game for the first time I cringed but it's fascinating how there's always someone who enjoys these sort of things after seeing the comments on Itunes. I've seen some real shit games in my time and yet they get 5 stars :D

No problem, is your game coming along well?
    What about the baby made you cringe? lol, I didnt actually make the baby, my boss said it would be quicker to buy it from turbo squid :/ . Anyway I made the environment and did most of the animation, these talking "insert name here" apps seem to be quite popular at the moment.

Saferdan, glad you are enjoying paper glider, it is a little tough, its meant to be one of those - just one more try - type of games.

Joshua we do plan to develop for android in future when we find a good workflow for releasing on multiplatforms.

Got loads to do today, working on 3 new games, 1 puzzle game, 1 golf game and 1 football game.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Aha well it worked! I have got the hang of getting out of the window now :)

You guys did well :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Quite a nice roster of games you have there! I gotta say the baby freaks me out too. He... he looks like a total cunt. I want to hit it.

shame I'm on android! :P
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Me and my housemate have spent a lot of time trying to beat each others score in the flick football, so good!

Please tell me you had to model that brussel sprout :D

Keep up the good work
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    congrats dude! way to get your feet wet/in the door and all that jazz :P personally I think your not done climbing the job ladder though. Ive been a long time fan of yours and I feel a bit like these mobile titles undercut your skill level.

PUSH HARDER FASTER STONGER!!!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    No problem, is your game coming along well?

Yeah well it was going well at first but my friend who's the coder barely has time to work on it these days and I'm always chucking new ideas in his face. I've done a mock-up of what I want the game to look like and sent them to him. I think we started work on it like 3-4 months ago but hardly any progress has been made :D We even had time to graduate.

The baby was from turbosquid? Heh. It made me cringe cause those sort of games baffle me as to why people like them. Besides I'm not too fond of babies and that particular model looks like something a "chav" would have on their phone :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks people! Glad to hear your playing our games saferdan/massbot etc :)

sorry I didnt reply sooner, been sick all day today :(

the brusselsprout was indeed modelled haha, well actually it was a sphere with a tiling sprout texture I made and applied that same texture as a displacement map.

konstruct I totally hear what you are saying and I did apply for a lot of big companys but never even got a response, at least now Ive found a way in to the games industry and perhaps I can build up my skills with a great team for a few years and release some cool little games.

Habboi, you should get back to the project :), some advice though - dont add too many ideas, get a core idea and improve that until its great fun then see if you can perhaps add a small amount of extra functionality. Try to make really small fun projects, like something you can imagine creating in a month if you both work on it for a few solid days a week. This way you can gain some experience and actually know what it takes to do it again and again and streamline the process. Dont always expect a good profit, sometimes the app store is a strange unpredictable place.
    fearian wrote: »
    Quite a nice roster of games you have there! I gotta say the baby freaks me out too. He... he looks like a total cunt. I want to hit it.

Haha fearian, he was supposed to look like he has "attitude" that was the brief anyway, so maybe in a way we succeeded lol. I guess when people see the name "talking baby" they think typical cute baby not this attitude filled character, maybe theres lessons to be learned from going too far off the status quo I dont know.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Just thought Id mention we just found out that Flick Football is the number 2 selling app for iPad of 2010! I was quite surprised!

Im working on something new that uses the flick football style a bit, its coming along well, the stadium Ive built is looking pretty epic this time :D
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well I'm not surprised. The interface is stylish and the game looks simple and the lads love football. Except me :D
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    That's some really slick looking stuff. Very clean and colorful. The interfaces all look fantastic. The physics are wonky for the pool game, but since the goal was a more arcade style game it works. Really good idea for a quick pool/puzzle game.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey guys thanks :) , yeah what about the physics seem wonky? any feedback is helpful? yeah perhaps they were tweaked to make it more playable, I dont know much about the programming side.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    DKK wrote: »
    How long does one need to play in order to unlock Tiffany? and Is she worth the effort?

20 levels of fun with angel and you get tiffany! lol wish I had been allowed to draw the girls but my boss had me picking them out of stock websites. the process was a bit like this.

boss "what do you think?"
    me "too slutty"
    boss "and this one"
    me "just the right amount of slutty!"