Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Medieval House

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
Hoi,

Been slaving over this for a few days now, I've just got to texture it.

Hopefuly i can break it down into modular pieces so that making new houses wont take as long as this did.

I just wanted to post the WIP here before i start on texturing to see if you guys have any crits or recomendations.

Cheers :)

househh.jpg

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Is this going to be stylized/cartoony or realistic. The top of the house says real and the bottom supports say cartoony. I'd say pick one direction and push that all over the house. If it's cartoony scale things up and accentuate the silhouette on this. Also if the camera is going to be ground level could could probably chop off the diagonal supports up top. Also where the door/door handles?
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Jeffro, I haven’t modeled the door yet im going to be modeling an interior for it and so the door will be a separate object so i can put a bone it it so it can swivel.

I'm going for a realistic look, are the corner supports down the bottom too tapered? is that what is giving me the cartoon feel?

and by diagonal supports do you mean up the top near the rounded roof? I suppose i could get rid of them, but im planning on having the player be able to enter the interior in the same scene so if he is looking out the window at an adjacent building should i keep them?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really good :) I especially like that shingle roof overhang thing, it's cool! Can't wait to see the texture.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Jessica :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Knowing that's it's realistic, the bottom supports bow out too much. It makes it cartoony. Leave the supports up top though I think you'll justify them once you get the interior done.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Lookin good so far, the only thing that bothers me is how tall and skinny it is.
    If your going for more realistic the house would be a bit wider so it would be less likely to topple in the wind.
    Keep it up cant wait to see the texture work
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    @ Hughie, your right it does look a little thin, heres a quick texture job does having a stone base help this problem? or should i still scale it out a little.

finalrenderk.jpg
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Looks pretty good I dont know to many of these houses with a wood roof like that though I would just use that thatched roof on both of those
    great work though keep it up
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using the ModularMountAndBlade page from the wiki as a guide? It seems too close to be coincidence.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade
    If you're going to be following that route I'd make sure to get some more polys in the roofs as soon as possible. Break up the thatched part especially.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, first thing I thought was gutekfiuteks polished buildings mod: I would mainly add a lot more dynamics in the wooden beams.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah i am using gutekfiuteks as a reference, i stumbled upon it around the roof stage, i made a post before referencing from gutekfiutek's wiki page having trouble modeling the thatch roof, ill give it a revisit.