Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Alex Halchuk

Hey everyone, the last while I've been plugging away at getting together my first portfolio website and I'm going to be out hunting for work in Montreal and Southern Ontario.

Let me know what you guys think:

http://alexhalchuk.com/

Just two things I'd like to mention; I'm going to be applying for an entry level position as an Environment Artist. My portfolio is a little bit light on the Environment side of things, but I'm working on some new material that should round it out nicely. Just not ready for primetime.

There are some small css formatting errors that I need to look over. There's an empty space on the right side on the page, but I should be able to fix that up soon. Any suggestions about what I should add or change would be awesome.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Can only really go up from here by continuing to make pieces for it, but I like it.
    What I like how it's mostly all from the same mod, and carries a consistent look. While normally including characters in environment portfolios isn't that common, here it shows a well rounded knowledge of the game development process.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Egad, why did you add noise to that lamp normal map? You'll lose definition doing that.

UDk scene is nice but why have a character model if you're aiming to be an environment artist?

Basically you need more work but you show promise!
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a real soft noise overlay just to break up the surface smoothness slightly. It's meant to be more of a cast iron material than a sheet metal. What I could do is spend 5 minutes and just erase the noise detail away from the edges of the map. When I looked at it, the detail loss isn't really that significant, but if it's a problem I'll see if I can play with it.

As stated before, I put the character model in there because it's probably one of my better pieces even though it's not an environment. It would be nice if I could fill the portfolio top to bottom with my UDK stuff, but if someone is willing to give me a start right now I'd much rather be filling my portfolio with professional material, rather than something I'm doing on my own. Would it be worth cutting that piece out entirely and just having the UDK scene and some of my maps?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    For now keep it because it is a strong piece but when you get enough good environment content be sure to replace it. Keep it up.

By the way, the noise on the normals probably doesn't matter since I actually looked at your scene more closely and it seems you went for a more "weighted", more "defined" style and the shadows seem to hide all traces on normal anyway.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good man. I like the layout, how everything is right infront of you, and how it takes you to a separate page for each one.

My only comment would be that on the separate page, it feels like clicking the images should do something. Maybe a higher-rez version? But at least make it go back to the main page. Just a bit of extra comfort I think. But it's nothing really.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    really good man. nice origional layout. good ballance of styles. You will find a nice job in no time!!! :)