Home Unreal Engine

Exporting a UDK package to another computer?

Hello all,

So, I recently got another computer and I want to work on the same project and transfer the files back a forth between my computer. Does anyone know an easy way to do this?
I saw something on 'cooking' my level and making a package ( .upk ), but I do not know if this is all I need to actually edit my files on the other computer. Would that just run the map as a map and not be able to edit it on the other computer?
Haha I have been working in UDK for about 6 months and I have never thought of trying this, so I am a little scared about trying it.

PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you want to use your old computer as a file server?

Are both computers on the same network? plugged into the same router? you should just be able to use windows to establish a connection between the two and then share your UDK folder.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Setting-up-a-home-network
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    What sprunghunt suggested would work perfectly as I've got this setup with Larolaro (2 separate UDK installations).

You wouldn't need to cook your packages/levels before transferring though. They work fine and you can still edit them with no problem :)
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    You can just put the file on an USB stick. If you've saved model, materials etc. on an external package you should also copy that one. Just put the file in the proper maps on your new pc and everything you work fine.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Or save your UPK's in your Dropbox folder ? that's what I do.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I had PC issues a while back and was forced to reformat 3 times. In order to keep my level I copied the packages and map file.

Then download / install UDK and place respective files in their places. Load level and it should be fine. Although, I lost a couple of sky textures in my package and none of the glass textures were applied to my windows.

I also had to re-do post processing cause I edited the Fx_console due to laziness.
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW!
    Thanks to everyone that posted! This helps me out so much, and I didn't think that anyone would respond so quickly either.
    Another reason Polycount is the best forum out there :D

The main question I need answered still though is what exactly do I need to copy over to my new comp?
    I have copied the folder containing all my models, .ase files, textures and my .udk files. You guys mentioned something about the .upk files. which folder are they in?
    I'm guessing it's something like C:>UDK>UDK-2010-09>something or other...

Thanks again everyone!
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *EDIT*
    NEVERMIND GUYS! It was a lot easier than I thought, I just had to copy the folder with all my models and textures over with the .udk files and it works.

Thanks to all that helped me out!
    Now back to work for me!