Home Technical Talk

Photoshop - Annoying Beep

Does anyone else have this problem where in photoshop, when you hit space bar to pan around it sometimes makes an annoying beeping noise? If anyone knows how to turn this off I would be mighty grateful :)

Replies

• Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beeping sound means you're trying to perform something incorrectly. I use to turn the volume down when I began learning Photoshop in public :). Don't know if it can be disabled.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I use space bar to pan quite often and never noticed a beep? How do you get it to happen?
    I mean how do you perform whatever it is incorrectly so I can hear this beep and see if it's something I've unconsciously gotten used to :p
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just pan like I normally do, hold space and drag around on the canvas, its not preventing me from panning, just beeps and lets me do my thing :S I'm not sure what I could possibly be performing incorrectly
  • mbullister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbullister polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop sometimes does the same thing for me, and yeah, it's annoying.

From what I can tell:

It only started happening when I switched to Win7 (are you using it too?).

It happens when I switch frequently between Max and Photoshop.

And it seems to happen specifically when I use a tablet to switch.

Clicking anywhere on the file bar seems to stop the sounds.

Unfortunately, I think it's Windows making the sound and not Photoshop, so I doubt there's a way to mute it other than disabling the system beep sound (type "sound" in the search bar, open the sound settings window, go to the sounds tab, and change "Default Beep" from "Windows Ding.wav" to "(none)".

If you can't find exactly what the problem is, that should at least make it less annoying.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds like one of the Windows accessibility features for people with disabilities is being activated.

In Vista you can find those settings under Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use -> (Uncheck/Turn off everything).

I think the main offender might be "Turn on Filter Keys", so be sure to turn that off.

Hopefully that's it.
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup I am using windows 7 64 bit and using a tablet as well, seems to only happen when im using the tablet. I am going to try Bens idea for turning that stuff off, I am pretty sure that is the problem, because if it was photoshop making the noise, I am sure there would be an option to turn it off. Thanks for the help everybody :)
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope never mind, checked those ease of access settings out and nothing there is checked, but I did just realize it is indeed a windows beep :S
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You're pressing spacebar when you shouldn't . Photoshop window is not in focus.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    I mean how do you perform whatever it is incorrectly so I can hear this beep
    It sounds like it's not the same problem that the OP has. I haven't got PS in front of me but if I remember correctly, it happens when trying to do a different task before a previous action has totally finished (ie applying transformation). It's a loud 'ping' sound that I've had on XP+Vista/CS3+CS4.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Go into you general settings and uncheck "Beep when Done" and look if this solves you problem.
  • vabartolome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vabartolome polycounter lvl 3
    (I am using Adobe Photoshop CC on Windows 7)

When I press the Alt key, the top 'File, Edit, Image, Etc...' bar underlines the first letter of each word. The beeping sound only happens for me when I press the Alt key and then press any button on the keyboard without clicking my mouse.

What I did was I went to "Change System Sounds" in the control panel and I found that the sound for "Default Beep" in system sounds is the same one that happens when I press Alt in Photoshop.

I changed the "Default Beep" sound to "(None)" then saved those settings.

This should stop photoshop from making that sound, however this will stop your entire computer from making that sound too. I doubt its that big of a deal seeing is the only time I ever hear that sound outside of photoshop is when there is a dialogue box that has popped up that I cant click out of.

Hope this helps.

TL:DR=
    1) Go to control panel
    2) Search for "Change System Sounds"
    3) Change "Default Beep" sound to "(None)"
    4) Apply settings and close.
  • ThatsWhySo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (I am using Adobe Photoshop CC on Windows 7)

When I press the Alt key, the top 'File, Edit, Image, Etc...' bar underlines the first letter of each word. The beeping sound only happens for me when I press the Alt key and then press any button on the keyboard without clicking my mouse.

What I did was I went to "Change System Sounds" in the control panel and I found that the sound for "Default Beep" in system sounds is the same one that happens when I press Alt in Photoshop.

I changed the "Default Beep" sound to "(None)" then saved those settings.

This should stop photoshop from making that sound, however this will stop your entire computer from making that sound too. I doubt its that big of a deal seeing is the only time I ever hear that sound outside of photoshop is when there is a dialogue box that has popped up that I cant click out of.

Hope this helps.

TL:DR=
    1) Go to control panel
    2) Search for "Change System Sounds"
    3) Change "Default Beep" sound to "(None)"
    4) Apply settings and close.

Dunno why I didn't think of this... But I registered to say thanks! :thumbup:
  • danboon05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was having the same problem with Windows 8 and this thread helped, the solution appears to be similar to Ben Apunas solution. So thanks Ben.

I was getting warning beeps every time I used the bracket keys to resize my brush, the apparent solution:

• Navigate to Ease of Access via Control Panel.
    • Select Make the keyboard easier to use.
    • Select Set up Sticky Keys under the Make it easier to type section.
    • Uncheck: Play a Sound When Modifier Keys are Pressed.

This may be the same for Windows 7, I have no idea, I just thought I would share what appears to have worked for me.