Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Scott Petty- Environment Artist

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

Finally got around to making a portfolio site with some of the stuff ive been working on, what do you guys think? Feedback appreciated!

http://scottpetty.carbonmade.com/

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thing that jumps out at me is the lack of contact information. If I'm not mistaken, the only place you have it is in the about me page. I would put at least your email somewhere on the front page, and watermark it onto your images. That way if someone saves your artwork to come back to later, they'll immediately know who it belongs to and how to reach you.

Also, might just be me, but it would be nice to be able to view larger versions of the images.

Good work overall:thumbup:
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Defiantly need a resume page that will allow the viewer to download it in PDF or DOC format.

That's sort of weird you put down your income when you worked for Bioware.

I would get rid of work experience that isn't relevant to the game industry field.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok fixed, thanks guys.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well you certainly have a good amount of environments to show off. I love the arena and archasis, my favorites. I dont have anything constructive to say currently but just wanted to let you know Im digging the work.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    You worked on TOR? You're very lucky cause I'd have loved to have left my mark on that game. You have some splendid work and that chest has some really nice normals. How'd you make the markings? Modelled / Zbrushed?

Personally I wasn't a fan of your image browser. I went through them and instinctly clicked back but it went through the old images instead of immediately going back to front page. The amount of work shown would merit a simple front page of large images to scroll down and view. Do you really need seperate pages for each piece?
  • Emeriastone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey you're the guy who made all the Meridian assets. Cool work there man!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, right now i fixed a few things with the portfolio. I made all pictures shown large on the same page, and rotated a few things around. Thanks!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Solid, consistent, completed levels, coupled with a simple and easy to brows portfolio. Perfect example on how it should be done, i imagine you will have no problem finding work :)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man! The only thing i wish i had was more hard surfaced stuff..
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i wish you had shown of more HP renders. Also, I feel that there's too much medieval stuff. Its overpowering. Take the battlegrounds scene out completely.
  • cow1787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cow1787 polycounter lvl 12
    Really awesome stuff man. Giving me quite a bit of inspiration!
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Solid Portfolio man!

My biggest crit is actually your e-mail address. "Buddikaman@yahoo.com" is fine for friends and family but it does not look professional. Just make a new account for job hunting, say "scottpetty@yahoo.com", and employers will know exactly who is e-mailing them. It also makes it easier for them to remember your address.

Keep up the good work!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I would get rid of that objective line in your about section. It looks amateur and is the sort of thing college professors tell students to put in their portfolio section. It's also obvious from looking at your portfolio and if anyone has any question a cover letter always clears it up.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    i wish you had shown of more HP renders. Also, I feel that there's too much medieval stuff. Its overpowering. Take the battlegrounds scene out completely.

I disagree.

Good to see a portfolio with fantasy and lush medieval work, very well tailored to fantasy / bioware like comapnies, which you're aiming for I assume judging from the work.

The portfolio is great, would say that your Stoneshill is the best for me, among a very high quality predessors of course. The only thing I could think of to beef up the portfolio is wireframes / lighting only shots and clean up your thumbnails (some have black lines showing on the side which looks messy.)

Not really a fan of carbon made, more a fan of Weebly but the site does the job, so all good stuff man. Good to see a solid game-art portfolio and not full of blinn rendered high polies and all that stuff for once.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added a few high poly renders.

70851.jpg

5659bbcfe41e423040412a1.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    On your About page you spelled Elimination incorrectly :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow this is amazing!! I'd like to play some games with your artwork in it XD
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You'll want to cut off the borders of the viewport. ;)
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    your outdoor environment is fantastic but your indoor are very dark and your shadows are extremely dark.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    In your about me section I would go into more detail with the dates that you were in college, and how long you were at Bioware. It makes a big difference if I am looking a website of someone that has 5 or more years experience compared to someone that has little experience.