Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prison/fortress Gate, enviroment WIP

Seems I'm never able to show off finished work here.
O well.

Here is the beginnings of a prison/fortress environment I want to put in UDK.

door_1.jpg

door_2.jpg
Now with lights.

Debating If I want to continue making the outer wall or focus on what would be the "Security Checkpoint " before the door.
As always, crituques are not only welcomed but encouraged.

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you have any sort of concept?
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Or if you're not a concept guy, a plethora of reference images that help define the mood, story, and atmosphere of the scene.
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have an overall reference, but I'm trying to pick pieces from various military type building and bunkers.

I think I am going to have to look through more sci-fi to get the look I want.

The idea is a futuristic prison on a frozen wasteland. But not nessicerily nice, more Chronicles of Riddick/Serenity.

For now here is a little update for now.

door_3.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Even if you don't have 1 main reference in mind, you still need to gather the references. You mentioned the various military types of buildings & bunkers, gather images of them. It will help you figure out lots of things: scale, material definition, placement of pieces, everything crucial to telling a story.

Also, if it is sci-fi, I would suggest losing the concrete barriers and do something more sci-fi like: shield generator, automated laser fence, something more durable and on theme.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I will have to agree with Kaoticvisions... always use some reference... do a doodle... it takes like 20 mins and the end result will become more clear and you won't have to do so much trial and error. Plus we can get an idea of what you have in your head and we can give some good feedback on it.
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    Reference like everyone's said, anything, even a photograph were you paste your own ideas in from other photos. I would also block out the scene with more basic shapes just to get the the overall shape of things working better with each other. Keep on it everyone has to start somewhere! GOOD LUCK!
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I gathered about 50 images of Exiting bunkers from Russian, Switzerland and Poland ( and countries of the like) as Warhammer 40K .
    I also found out the style of architecture that I want for the Admin Buildings and such Is Brutalism.
    As for the energy shields, that's not really the future I'm looking for.
    Here is a rough layout of how I want the place to look.

layoutcopycopy.jpg
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Friend told me it would help If I gave you guys a visual representation of the look I was going for, so here ya go.

referance.jpg

And here is the rough modified security bunker I'm working on.
    bunk1.jpg
    bunk2.jpg
    bunk3-Copy.jpg

I think I have trouble zoning in on one area and completing it. So right now I'm going to focus on the top of the bunker, and the satellite dish. then work down to the rest of the bunker.