Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept architecture art and landscapes

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello first of all I would like ot ask if anyone knows of any side where I could see some nice landscapes concept art to use as inspiration for level design or even model parts for my tropical island ....

Secondly I wanted also to add in my island some ancient ruins and I am still very much undecided on the style to go ....

In human History the man developed very very original architecture styles in each corner of the world , look at aztec mayan , or Egyptian , or Hindu or Greco roman etc ... the problem is that usually most of what I have seen as concept art is never original but is contaminated by some of the previous or other historical Cultures , very rarely I have seen something original but that usually was very alien or weird ...

Does anyone knows of a site for good Ancient like architecture concept art to take ideas from to model for my environment that doesn't seem "copied" from RL styles?

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    There is a reference thread here you can poke through.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I did this already but there isnt anything specific to what I was looking for ....
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    The thing is, you've asked for a really specific thing that's not based on anything IRL. unless someone here happens to randomly have the exact kind of concepts your looking for saved to their hard drive (unlikely) you're out of luck

you're just going to have to man up and trawl through flickr, cg hub, deviantart and conceptart.org yourself.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA wrote: »
    the problem is that usually most of what I have seen as concept art is never original but is contaminated by some of the previous or other historical Cultures

That's because what you've described is the very reason most styles developed. Until the Art Nouveau movement in the early 20th Century, styles had just drawn their inspiration from previous styles. As you say, often Ancient Greek and Roman styles.

When you've got over 2000 years of backward thinking design, and only really 100 or so of 'modernism' and forward thinking ideas, it's not surprising that so much of what we see is just examples of Ancient Architecture, or rebirths of it.

It's the same theory I guess that is apparent in all art, we have to draw inspiration from somewhere, and often that comes from things we know from the past, there are of course a talented few who can envision futures with some degree of believability, but nobody can create anything as believable as reality.

The best way to approach it is to have a subtle idea of what you want to achieve. Then search for ref based on those ideas. For example, if you want an ancient ruin which has just been destroyed by impact from a crashed alien spaceship, then grab a load of photos of Ancient Rome from Flickr / Google, then go have a look round CGHub or ConceptArt.org for some futuristic SciFi stuff, Syd Mead, Feng Zhu etc, then combine what you've found. Because like Fearian said, you're unlikely to get many results by searching 'Alien Spaceship that crashed into Ancient Roman Ruins Concept Art'.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am wondering ...

What lead a civilization to develop a certain style in the Art? For example I know that Greek - Roman architecture developed the triangle shaped roofs couse of the rain and snow , while in more southern climates that was not needed so the flat roofs , tough what has lead to the development of a certain style like floreals , statues perfection columns or like for Asian styles the roofs in a certain way , the Aztec type of designs and so on ? is there something based on the land itself where they live in Or something else or is just casual?

Would a civilization based on Jungle develop some kind of art style very complex and woven like jungle roots or instead by contrast would be very geometrical and linear?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    research the Khmer, Aztec and Mayan civilizations. The Khmer were in Cambodia while the Aztec an Mayans were in South America, there are some similarities in their architecture. Give up on the trying to be 100% original all the time, these people had thousands of years to come up with their architectural styles - plus you can tell when an artist decides to throw out all influence from history and tries to make something up out of their head, it just doesn't look right.