Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texturing Help

Hi guys, I'm doing a quick steam punk project for some friends at school. I've attached the props that I'm working on, as well as my textures, I know that they're not looking right but I'm not sure why. If anyone can take a look and give some constructive feedback I'd really appreciate it.

onezq.jpg

twob.jpg

threel.jpg

fourh.jpg

19258869.jpg

texz.jpg

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Take that unwrap into a painting program and use it as a guide to paint you textures. When you say that it is not looking right... what specifically do you mean? You say you are aiming for steampunk, but it looks to me like you laid an old paper texture over the whole thing. What material is you object supposed to be? Because that is how you would want to paint it.
  • pbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback, I realized that it was looking too much like paper, so I did some work on it and I'm attaching some updates to it. Here it is and I hope you like it!

ruff1b.jpg

ruff2.jpg
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you just took a photo off cg textures and applied it all over your model. I would have a look at the texturing part of racer445's tutorials On how to paint your own textures. Photosourcing will only get you half the way.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, i think you might need to rethink the ammount of rust you have on there, currently it just looks like you have thrown some about it without really referencing anything to see how things would actually rust.

But then again thats maybe just me.
  • pbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques, I'm going to check out racer445's stuff man.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would really benefit from thinking over where you place the rust, where will the rust most likely form, and where will any other change in the texture be created etc.
    Also work that into you specular map, rust for example is not shiney at all.

I would suggest baking an AO map aswell, or just painting your own very simple AO.

Try to stay away from making parts in your texture become obviously tiled, rust spots that repeat are easy to spot, so if your going to use repetative textures, make them as flat as possible. You could use the same texture more than once like on the middle cylinders, just make sure you vary the uv up a bit so the rust spots dont line up perfectly, it will make the texture feel more unique when they are placed differently even if they are not.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Disregarding the texture for a moment, your polygon distribution could use a tweak. Large tubes generally get more sides, because they're bigger on screen and thus the sides are more visible.

cylindersides.png
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you treat photos as a starting point and use them to influence your texture instead of just making them your texture you'll do pretty well. Have you thought about producing an ambient occlusion map for this piece seen as your unwrapping it? It would benefit from it a lot. Try not to use textures all over your map where there huge changes in colour because the fact that you've used them all over your map becomes very clear with the colours standing out against one another. Making a specular?