Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Aline Gladh

Hi!

I joined polycount last weekend and I already love it!

I posted links to my portfolio and 365 self portrait project to my portfolio thread but I thought I should have a thread for sketches and wip:s too!

I'm hoping to get alot of critique from you guys and that you will enjoy my work!

Critique I got when I posted my portfolio was pretty much the same I've heard before, one of the things was that I tend to draw pretty much the same faces over and over again. It's a common problem, but I feel more than ready to STOP doing that! Please tell me if I keep doing it! :) I spent an evening drawing some different faces, here are the results:
faceStudies_M01.jpg?disposition=downloadfaceStudies_w01.jpg?disposition=download

Replies

• thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm practicing environments, this is one of them... but ofcourse I couldn't keep my self from painting a character in the environment too. I'm going to give the character more colour, shine and contrast so she pops more and I'm going to give the environment more detail.

toldya_wip01_by_the_a_line-d34l87f.jpgPlease give me lots of critiques on this one!
    /Aline
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    On my screen it's hard to make out the details of the stone faces and the temple entrance with the flames. Perhaps brighten the contrast up in that area.

Is the character a part of that environment? She isn't lit the same as the background behind her. Not sure what your environment is planned to be but maybe add some trees on the hills to the left?

Other than that it's a lovely piece so keep it up.
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Habbol: Yes, I saw that on a friends screen too so I will definately light it up more!

The caracter wasn't planned to be there from the start, and I think I will remove her and put her in her own picture. The thought was to practice environments, not characters so I think that will be the best for both the picture and me ;)

Thnx so much for the critique!!!
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been moving and the holidays stole my time but I have finally had time to sit down with my new tablet and made some quick studies, I need it and it's fun :) Here's a sample of today's studies.

hand_studies_01_by_the_a_line-d36km4n.jpg
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to paint a modern soldier, here's a WIP and a quick small colour test. If someone would give me som critiqe on this it would be awesome! I don't want too much background as I look at it mostly as a caracter design. Later I want to give it more contrast and highlights/sharp shadows etc, what I want critique on is mostly the design and gear.
    Thnx!/Aline

desertsoldierwip01_by_the_a_line-d36oxil.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I can't really comment on the design functionality of the soldiers gear, but it looks pretty tight. Watch out with the length of his arms though, they both seem quite a bit shorter than they should be.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    The arms stick out as being too short and the feet too small (should be a ted taller i think) but other than that the line-work is solid and the level of detail isn't too busy. The torso could use a cleaner "resting-point" area for the eye under all those bands...

Design-wise u've got a subtle (to say the least) pose portraying an ordinary us marine, there's not much new here. The hankerchief (or whatever) on his kevlar band is a nice touch, not only it should stand out in the color ver but also it would be nice to see more personal accentuations like that. Make him stand out, give him a story, etc.

Color-wise i'd suggest focusing on material definition rather than painting a background and all that, providing as much relevant detail as possible.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    the arms look very weeak and short. He looks very tall as well but that might have been intended.
    overall i dig the look. Nice amount of gear on him.
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, how could I miss that the arms are way to short?! Thnx so much for that!

Yes, the hardest stuff, I think, is to do something new with it but still make it look realistic. Any id
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Shapes seem to be the most popular way to making things up. Don't make things up, make shapes and connect them believably to the form of... whatever it is u've got going on. Then, with structure comes resemblance and idea conception, and from there u can elaborate.

Focusing on those shapes also helps promotes a strong sense of design.

Right now ur design is pretty much stuffed to the limit where adding more shapes would clutter it too much, so there's some back-n-forthing due if u'r going to try inserting new stuff.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hello again.

Gif for you.

alinesoldiergif.gif

Sorry I couldn't do a ton, just Photoshop 6 and a mouse here at work but it's more fun than doing tech support. :) Largely illustrating some things people've already mentioned, arms longer, things of that nature. I also noticed the position of his legs seemed a little awkward so I fiddled with that a bit.

So far as giving him more personality...that's tough with a lot of military types, being so common these days. I'd say for starters taking off his helmet could be a good way to start. Gives you a lot more freedom with his head/face and the like. Could be fun. But it's still going to be tough, given that a military guy walking towards the viewer is the cover of both Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, as well as Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it can't help but remind me of those right now.
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for your time and critique guys! It really helps!

I haven't started with the light from de flare yet but thnx for that anyway, now I won't forget it. :) Shading the leg felt good, but I don't want to move it like you did "Two Listen" cuz then I will lose the space between them and I think that makes the composition worse, but maybe that's just me? And I know that it's similuar to CoD and BF covers, that's kinda the idea. I sketched some other angles first but a friend thought that I should draw one like that instead. I thought of taking off the helmet too but again my friend thought it would be nicer to keep it on, I think I do too, it wouldn't seem right to take off the helmet for this pic, next one though ;)

Thnx again for all the critique and time!
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've changed some stuff and started to render it a bit more. More crits are most welcome!

desertsoldierwip02_by_the_a_line-d36uxq3.jpg
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very inspired by some Mass Effect videos I spent some hours drawing female alien faces/heads. It was great fun!

website

alienFemaleFaces_01_wip01.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    nice, clean work on the heads here. A quick little crit; I know these are aliens but if you're using overall human proportion as a starting point then you're tending to render the skulls a little too shallow-- typically the human head is as deep as it is tall.

But yeah, some nice stuff.
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake wrote: »
    nice, clean work on the heads here. A quick little crit; I know these are aliens but if you're using overall human proportion as a starting point then you're tending to render the skulls a little too shallow-- typically the human head is as deep as it is tall.

But yeah, some nice stuff.

Thanks!

I wanted to keep them a bit human to make it easier to think they are atractive (for the human eye). But what I didn't want though was to keep the right human proportions cause then it would just look like humans with some weird features. I made some more freaked out versions but they didn't fit in this collection of sketches.

Thank you for the crit!
  • thealine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm tired of so many of my paintings not getting done so I got myself a W.I.P blog for motivation and a way to study my own workflow. http://wipaline.blogspot.com/

speedituptest02_crowlady_01_WIP05stamped.jpg