Home General Discussion

BBC Panorama - Are Videogames Addictive? (Tonight @20:30GMT)

Replies

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    well um just to add, take it from a teenager, they can be EXTREMELY addicting, I used to spend hours on online MMOs
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    gibson543 wrote: »
    well um just to add, take it from a teenager, they can be EXTREMELY addicting, I used to spend hours on online MMOs

heh I think we all did.

There probably aren't too many people around who don't have at least a week /played on MMOs.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    BigJohn: Now, I'm not sure what age group you're talking about here, but for my 13 - 15 group, thats actually not completely accurate, I think that a lot of kids are slowly breaking away from things like WoW, generation by generation, if I asked around, I'd probably get a lot of "oh those games are gay" or shit like that, and maybe a couple "ive played it once or twice" but the majority would be like WTF are you talking about, so yeah, for my generation things have left WoW and entered the world of ass.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'd watch it but I have to finish Final Fantasy 6.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If wow is so addictive why are they marketing Cataclysm as "the expansion that will bring you back to WoW." Most of the reviews previews marketing hype I've seen has been billed as such. If was digital crack how are so many people able to escape its grasp?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was that because the alternatives were, hang out with the folks or stare at the wall?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    used to spend nights in ultima online in my youth, too tired to go to school day after, didn't matter though, ultima online was way more fun.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

Yeah when I stopped playing WOW I got the shakes and was so nauseous that I couldn't hold anything down. And then the diarrhea came...

See what I mean about conflating addiction with a games obsession ?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Aye. Two weekends ago, I played 20 hours (12 straight hours, then 8 straight hours) of Borderlands in the same day.

After I finished it, I didn't have any overwhelming compulsion to play it again. I haven't played it much since. Maybe an hour or two, blasting fools with the sniper rifle that explodes people.

It wasn't an addiction. It wasn't even an obsession. I just had a spare weekend to play a game. So I did.