Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Catapult WIP

Hi all,

I'm starting to work on a new prop from high poly to importing into UDK, my goal this time to get a decent looking normal map baked. So far I've finished the high poly and would appreciate crits and advice. Thanks :]

ref:
catapult.jpg

highpoly01.jpg

highpoly02.jpg

Replies

• EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    It looks like a solid start mate but I don't know why you are doing a highpoly, you can use NDO for the bolts in a kitbash style and do basic bevels on all the polycubes instead of a turbosmooth with control loops (forgive me if im wrong, it looks like it judging from the edges)
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    The spoon should be smaller compare with the ref. And this thing behind the spoon should be a rope, make it real. There are some details you have missed from the ref.
  • jaclarke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some updates! Thank you for the advice of trying to make it real, I made an attempt to really go back and put in some details from the ref to make it more believable. (the reason for the high poly is, well, I need practice baking :) The new images are from UDK.

The one question I have is about specular maps, I never seem to know what values work best for each kind of material. Is there usually a standard that most people stick to, for say wood and metal?

udk01.jpg

udk02.jpg

udkscene02.jpg