Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation Lip Sync-Need Critiques

I'm new to Polycount. I know some people here on Polycount in game art. I'm an animator looking for a place to get some critiques on my work. If anyone knows of a good place to get animation feedback or has any suggestions for my work, your help is greatly appreciated :-)

Here is a work in progress lip sync animation. I'm still working on blocking out everything so its expectedly going to be a bit choppy. Anyways, all feed back is greatly appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/17461960

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Welcome to Polycount!! :)

The blocking is looking good so far.
    My only thoughts at this early stage is that you'll probably be biting off more than you can chew--23 seconds is quite the long amount of time for a lip sync. You'd probably be able to focus and do much more and better with something under 10 seconds. If you're set for the challenge, though, than power to you!! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, keep it up.

As for the length it really depends on perspective. In feature films typically people do about 5-10 seconds per week working 40hrs, sometimes less sometimes more. For this I would say a pro could do 10 seconds per week on this level of action someone a little less experienced 5 and someone just starting out should shoot for 1.

In my case I do about a min a week of restrained single character animation for games. While its higher quality than most games it falls short of film quality. Most of the animation is conversational they're talking to the player/camera and you typically see them from the waist up, its a lot of facial animation and arm gestures. 8-20min per character 4-16 characters per year 10-20 cinematics.

When we get into full body cinematic work which is roughly like this with a little more running and fighting, that drops down to about 10 seconds per week.

So long post short:
    The most it might take you is, 1 sec per week, 25 weeks from now you're done.
    A good guess would be, 5 sec per week, 5 weeks from now you're done.
    The least 10 sec per week, 2.5 weeks from now you're done.

So based on that I would try to do 1sec of animation up to the best quality you can and see how long it takes. Then you know how much work you're in for. Its about quality first not speed, speed comes when you've produced enough quality, enough times.

Hopefully that helps you guesstimate how long a clip like this will take. Good luck keep it up I like the blocking!
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    About the length, are you intending to put this in a reel? If thats the case i think it's far to long. The risk of being discouraged by the workload and not finish is more likely with a longer clip.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon wrote: »
    About the length, are you intending to put this in a reel? If thats the case i think it's far to long. The risk of being discouraged by the workload and not finish is more likely with a longer clip.
    I agree it would be too long to put in a reel. BUT it depends on how you structure your site and your reel. If you put up longer more in depth animations on your site and then for your reel, boil down smaller clips that feature the best parts, it can be a good combo.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll find a couple of animators around here.

Ditto to the previous comments. 6 seconds of solid animation > 23 seconds of average work that you started to get sloppy at to finish it up. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it's very difficult to keep the same level of motivation/quality in such a lengthy piece of animation. My first animation class, I unwittingly tried to do a minute for what was a very, very simple piece, and ended up turning in a blobby sluggish piece of garbage, in which I was unsatisfied with all of it.
  • Ashley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate all of them :-)
    Thank you Mezz and Razgriz for the welcomes too :-)
    Oh, and thanks Mark for breaking down the time of how long it could take me to work on this. I never thought to look at it like that, but it completely makes since now :-).

I do now see what all of you are saying about the length of the piece. I'm going to work on shortening up the piece or possibly just start a new one. I'm not sure how much i can actually cut out before the audio doesn't give enough room to make since.

I will be posting some updates soon.
    Thanks again for all the feedback! :-)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh glad that helps. I have to think about that stuff all day long as I set the schedule for my team. Ever since I had to start doing the schedule, it weighs pretty heavy on how I plan personal projects which leads to a lot more personal projects actually being completed, heh.

Over at the 11secondclub.com they have a lot of clips that are... 11sec . Just about the right length of time to get done in about a month.
  • Ashley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah that makes sense :-)
    Yah if i can't get this one to work i might just do a piece from 11 second club. At least then I'll know the length of it will be more reasonable.

I actually started this piece in a class a couple of months ago when our instructor was telling us he wanted us to do a 30 sec. animation. Recently i just decided to redo the whole thing since my last version of it just looked like a big huge mess. I'm sure a big part of my outcome of the last version was because we only had about 2 weeks to do it. I thought i could try and rework it this time but its not looking that way now.

Thanks for your help :-)