Home Technical Talk

Max 2010 to Quake 3 Arena: Character Exporting

I've encountered a very interesting challenge with exporting a character to quake 3 arena. I followed this particular tutorial to the letter http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 53&t=15734 , and I got this error message in testing:
"Failed to load models/players/piratepad/lower.md3"
-I built a completely new animation set in max 2010 for a custom character that has already been successfully used in the q3arena engine.
-applied the tags to the appropriate places (based on three other tutorials).
-Completely baked the head, torso and leg animations to vertex. Left tags on biped.
-exported to *.ase (again, followed Doom3World's tutorial settings to the letter here).
-successfully came out the other end of q3data with three new md3 pieces, (got an issue with illegal texturemap location)
-minded my p's and q's with the skin files, animation.cfg, botfiles and everything else to the best of my knowledge.
-ran the new md3's through npherno, rebuilt the normals and even edited the paths to the texture maps (models/players/etc....)
-I have lod's set up.
-I have a properly structured directory system in my pk3, including their subdirectories under models, botfiles, scripts, sounds, etc.)
I double checked my paths and naming conventions and repacked my pk3. When I tested again I got:
R_LoadMD3:models/players/piratepad/lower.md3 has wrong version (538976271 should be 15)
I have to admit, I'm at a loss here, and I'm starting to run out of up to date tutorials that apply to my specific version of Max 2010, where the only md3 export plugin in 2010, pop n fresh, came with little to no documentation, effectively making it more useless than the titties on a boarhog. It sounds to me that the md3 files are at issue, but why? What am I hitting here? What does it sound like to you when it appears that the prescribed settings aren't resulting in a custom player on your screen?
Unless a tutorial for pop'n'fresh 2010 magically pops up in my face to show me how to use it, it looks like my next step is to DL Milkshape. What do you think?

Replies

• pencilwhipped
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still no luck with q3data. Why the sudden change?
  • pencilwhipped
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do hope this helps some of you guys, and I'm really sorry about not posting this sooner.

Pop'n'Fresh Md3 exporter does the trick in getting the character out of Max 2010 x64 in windows 7. However, to put the character back into the game, bring whatever you export out of Max into Npherno's Md3 compiler and run it through a very basic process, outlined in this document below:

Md3 Compiler Instructions

Quake 3 Md3 user documentation on the web is notorious for turning up a bunch of dead links. Should that happen to you, try out the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Simply copy and paste your dead link code into the the form entry and run a search. I've had to do this more than a few times over the course of the learning curve on this end.