Home General Discussion

Game series you wish had continued, and those you wish hadn't.

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
so here it is, just name the series you wish had gone on to do more, and then the series you wish had died after the first or second.

i wish the Legacy of Kain series had continued... i constantly find myself pining over Nosgoth and the characters within, and the cliffhanger ending of Defiance is just annoying.

i wish the final fantasy series had ended at IX. the stories seem to lack soul nowadays. sure the art is all flashy, but that shouldn't be THE reason to pick up an FF game.

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Star Wa...err I mean Leisure Suit Larry...should have ended after III, ... all the other sequels cheapened the originals a lot

Ultima Series should not have ended. I just love open world RPGs, but Ultima (8 and earlier) just had so much better stories than the Elder Scrolls titles.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know what I miss?? Dino Crisis. Man the first one was so good. I would love to see a game like that in today's standards.
    Remember this scene?
    tumblr_l5m96rMgfz1qcwtmwo1_500.gif

SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME. Ugh...Survival Horror memories...
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I want Monster Hunter for the PS3 :(. They went over to the Wii (BASTARDS)..

Oh... I disagree with you on the FF thing gir. I loved XII!!

I can't think of any series should should die or should have died... Not a huge gamer anymore... maybe after I get my new GPU.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Series that should've continued - Myth and Myth II... I will never forgive bungie for selling the rights to that series and making those crappy halo games instead

Series that should've stopped - while I'm tempted to say the obvious like Tony Hawk I'll actually go with Heroes of Might and Magic. Just because the first few were so good and original and it has just turned into rehashed gameplay since like 3 which makes me sad because I think a good turn based rpg can still exist and is just dying to be made.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSX!

And...

SSX.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dungeon keeper 3 , we need a dungeon keeper 3 !
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is tough... Deus Ex should and should not have have died after the first game.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was rubbish and Project Snowblind (which started life as a Deus Ex game, thankfully didn't end up as one) was even worse.

However, Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks like it could be really good. In which case it's a good thing the franchise survives.

I really wish there could be a proper System Shock spiritual successor, too. BioShock didn't come close to making the grade.

Another Troika Vampire/WoD game would have been amazing, too.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Fallout 3 ( same style as fallout 1 and 2 )
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Final Fantasy should have died after the 10th game. There's no way they will ever top FF9, not with Nomura in charge.

As much as I like MGS I would love to see Kojima move on and make something completely different. I loved Peace Walker, but those plots only get more and more convoluted as they go along. He's been blabbing recently about making something completely different; lets hope it's a good seller.

Part of me wishes that Baldur's Gate series would continue, but I'm actually glad they ended it with ToB. If I could change anything about the franchise I would love ToB to be a full game, rather than an expansion pack. It really felt a bit too short. Great conclusion nonetheless.

...and please, let Call of Duty bite the dust, or get rid of the single-player campaign. Nowadays it's nothing more than an interactive Micheal Bay movie. Normally I wouldn't have anything against that; I do enjoy the over the top action and campy dialogue; but when something like that turns into one of the most influential franchises it's hard not to worry about the state of the industry.

Rant over, crawling back to my dirty hole. :poly142:
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Would like to see a new Skies of Arcadia one day, but doubt it'll ever happen. Prince of Persia 2008 too, very under rated game.

Grandia 1 and 2 were great games, but they should have ended it there. Xtreme, 3, and Grandia online did nothing but lessen the brand.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Johny wrote: »
    Fallout 3 ( same style as fallout 1 and 2 )

Thats what I was thinking when opening this thread :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    terminal velocity (and all the other PC based futuristic flight games we used to get)
    freelancer
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    The lost vikings !
    a new Earthworm Jim with the spirit of 1 and 2
    Fade to black wasn't near good as flashback, which is still my favourite SF game.
    Turok 1 and 2 were cool (stupidly hard though). The last one have nothing much to do with the original universe.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Z: By the bitmap brothers.
    Now that was a fun strategy game. Would love to see it done new.

z_game_screenshot1_320x240.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Should have continued:

Outcast (there is a remake MOD for UDK I think. Coming soon. That'll be fun - EDIT: open outast, crysis wars mod http://www.moddb.com/mods/open-outcast)
    MDK
    Destruction Derby
    Carmageddon
    Dungeon Keeper (which is continuing as an MMO in Asia I think, but thats not the same)
    Every Bitmap Bro's game. Speedball tried but failed. They should have kept it the same as SB2 but more of it.

Should have stopped:
    The Sims
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Continue: Road Rash
    Stop, Stop, it's already dead: Prince of Persia
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    ReVolt (and on PC)

descargar-revolt.jpg

Quake 1. I LIKED that whole Necronomicon feel it had with Trents music. Perfect experience. Everygame since then hasn't had the same feeling with the Borg like aliens.

Quake1_paket.gif

That should die: Guitar Hero (yea I went there).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The Tribes series. I play Tribes 2 religiously, every Friday night.
    When Tribes: Vengeance came out, I really enjoyed the single player side of it, but they screwed up the multiplayer side (and didn't support modding). The community got really upset about the lack of bug fixes, and mod support, and the community let Sierra know this. The end result was, Sierra stopped all support for the game and series.

There still exists a huge group of players hungry for the series to be continued (and done properly). Unfortunately, the rights to the game have been passed around several companies lately, and a new game hasn't been made. It seems there has been more focus on doing things with the old games (like making playable in a browser).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and personally, I'm kind of tired of Mario games. Things like Paper Mario were really cool, because it really changed the game, but otherwise, I'm good without a new Mario game... and Sonic too.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downhill Domination, best damn racing game ever. Still playing it after however many years on the PS2 and I still haven't taken the same path down the mountain.

Also Amplitude would be nice, although the Rock Band for PSP was kind of like that, just not the same.

Oh, also Valve to continue the Episodes... WHERE'S 3 DAMN IT!?!?

and Zone of Enders.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy: I've been tossing around the idea of remaking the Quake weapons and a few DM levels in UDK with some tracks from Ghosts I-IV for the soundtrack.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Betrayal_At_Krondor_box.jpg

And equally much I did not wish it had continued the way it did.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    notman wrote: »
    The Tribes series.

This.

Also PlanetSide, but i guess it's not a Series yet ;).
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Journeyman_Project_Screenshot.png

The Journeyman Project!

I thought this game was really immersive the first time I played it...Also I got tripped up by the copy protection. (passcode for a door only found in manual) I only had the game disc! Dial-up internet saved the day and I was finally able to finish it.

Kinda wish they didn't go the live action route with the following games..

I'd love to see the environments and assets remade to todays standards.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Out of this World ( or Another World in Eurpope I think)

I would settle for a game that was a similar side scrolling adventure, like Blackthorn, Flashback, or Heart of Darkness
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to see some more Myst-like games. Actually, I'd just like to see Cyan worlds come back strong, right now they're just porting their back catalog to iOS.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldier of Fortune series for me I wish continued. Just wish a cheap company like "Activision Value" didn't develop the 3rd game. Instead actually send Raven the project to work on again. Because I still play multplayer till this very day with it on 1 & 2.

Call of Duty series for me should have ended at Modern Warfare. Nothing really new, other than Treyarch over-doing the franchise more in a boring hollywood explosive movie manner. Where I see the same thing over and over and over again...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Final Fantasy... They should have made another game based on that.

Seriously though, System Shock NEEDS a proper, hardcore sequel already. None of this watered down for the masses bollocks that Bioshock is. Now I love me some Bioshock, don't get me wrong, but I can't stand games that hold your hand too much...

Quake 1 and 2 DESERVE actual sequels, no doubt about that. And no, I don't count Quake 4, and refuse to believe they even released it.

Cold Fear 2... This game was Resi 4 lite but really underrated, classic.

Half Life 2 Episode 3 would be pretty sweet....................
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bioforge, I wish the expansion sequel would of come out way back when, but economics dealt the team a nasty blow too.
    28542-bioforge-dos-screenshot-lex-goes-barbaric-and-beats-fellow.gif
    "Lex goes barbaric and beats fellow inmate with his own arm."

I also second Dino Crisis, man I loved that game.

The Dig, I would love a modern rendition.
    I'd be up for just about any open world exploration game that had a bit of mystery to it where your inventory isn't a laundry list of weapons and the strategy wasn't to figure out the weak spots to shoot.

I saw this on Steam last week for pretty cheap I'll probably snag it at some point.
    the-dig.png

I would love to re-play Vandal Hearts again which is where they should of stopped.
    vandal_hearts.jpg
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I've gotta chime in and say I want a sequel to Quake 1. Now that Zenimax owns id, I'd love to see Bethesda do a quick Quake 1 RPG to train up on idtech5 after their current project. Something small - like a downloadable-only title.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    should have continued: syndicate

syndicate.jpg

shuld have been dragged out behind the chemical shed and put out of its missery: sonic

sonic-wallpaper.jpg
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Vagrant Story. Lots of potential there. Would love to see another Chrono Cross/Trigger game as well. I kind of agree with the thought that Final Fantasy needed to end a while ago. After 9 I lost interest, and this is coming from someone that was a hardcore completist of those games since the NES days. They just don't have the same feel anymore and I don't know if they ever will.

Legacy of Kain would be a great series to continue, and I do remember reading an article with the head of Eidos at one point saying that that was a franchise that they were keeping in mind. That whole world and the characters within were so well developed, and a good case of a game series that didn't exactly have the greatest gameplay, but the story, mood and atmosphere more than made up for it.

Cool to see a mention of Out of this World. I played through that recently and it's amazing how ahead of it's time it was.

But the be all, end all franchise to bring back for me would probably have to be KILLER INSTINCT. Especially with all the newfound interest in fighting games these days, I can only hope that Rare has been secretly working on it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Battletoads or RC Pro AM would be great to see brought back. I played a ton of NFL Blitz in college too. Seems like that's on the way though.

Sonic definitely needs to end. Just quit. The Bioware rpg was supposed to be pretty cool from what I read. Sonic reminds me of Poochy from The Simpsons. Mario but with more extreme for marketing please!

williams-poochy1.jpg
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Should have continued: Arcanum. That was fun as hell.

Should have died: Yup. Sonic for sure.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I second and third Syndicate.

Also. Freespace. I'm not much into flight/space sims but Freespace 2 was amazing.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Vig wrote: »
    The DIG

My favorite adventure game. It had a very rocky development, some pics from early versions and links to articles on the history might find interesting:

http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/digbm1.html
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Wish would have continued: Tie Fighter/X-Wing, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight (or any other classic LucasArts games honestly)
  • jocose
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I want a upresed, updated, prettied up, and more content version of SSX 3. That game was fucking amazing. Not SSX on tour, not SSX Tricky... SSX3. :) It was the perfect snowboarding game, easy to move around mountain, interactive, and you were always going downhill, rarely in menus except for a second to quick travel or buy gear - unlike On Tour, where it was a menu game that had snowboarding.

as for die in a fire games, i'll agree with Sonic, but only the 3d sonics. They could keep making 2d sonics forever :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Love list:
    - System Shock (GOD, I love those two games, and beat it Bioshock)
    - Syndicate
    - Baldur's Gate
    -Planescape: Torment
    - Eye of the Beholder
    - Tie-Fighter vs X-Wing
    - X-Com (no, the new one isn't X-Com, beat it with Bioshock)
    - Master of Orion

Go away list:
    - Wannabes of above games
    - Personally all the football games
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This thread needs more Monolith Love:
    ac18e4a00a47_65083727.jpg
    shogo_box.jpg

Games that need to die:
    285240-ea_sports_logo_large.jpg

Just make us ONE definitive game, then just itirate the roster updates. Charge a subscription if you have to. Or an annual update fee, but a new $60 game for a roster update is just ridiculous.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ooh oh oh.. I forgot some good ones

Day of the tentacle, Full throttle, Lucas arts classics, etc
    Magic Carpets
    Ecstatica
    Medievil
    Pandomonium
    and Legacy of kain, but in the Blood omen (top down) style. If diablo3 is MOD-able. someone should do it.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Need more Syndicate, as well.

Need A LOT less Halo.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    oXYnary wrote: »
    ReVolt (and on PC)

OH MY GOD SOMEBODY ELSE KNOWS ABOUT THIS GAME
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know if Americans are familiar with this at all, but the Goblins series was just insanely awesome.
    goblins3-box1.jpg
    20090710_goblins3_1.png

The entire point-and-click quest genre needs to make a comeback, maybe in a new genre called FPNS, first-person non-shooter. They did it successfully with a Call of Cthulhu game a while ago, although that one got ruined half-way through when you got a gun.

Also:
    Simon_the_sorcerer2.png

full-throttle-large.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Magic Carpet

Oh god YES PLEASE.
    also

- Syndicate Wars
    - Myth
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ++ on Full Throttle. I couldn't remember the name of it earlier, so I didn't mention it. Many of the old Sierra games were great, and should be revisited :D