Home Technical Talk

What Computers Are Best for Modeling?

I'm new at modeling and have been using my school's computers for the last semester but I'd really like to start working from home. I've expolred both options for custom built machines and pre-built. Anybody have any suggestions for a machine for this type of work? Looking at spending $1300-$1500.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    My very first laptop was horrible and it did completely fine. You probably dont have to get as expensive as you say, $600-$800 should do fine.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It all depends on what you plan on doing. 1300-1500 will get you a nice rig allowing you to do pretty much everything. Custom built WILL get you something better than pre-built. Make sure you have at least 4-6+ gigs of ram, a nice video card, and a decent processor. I really like the Core i7 processors. They are cheap nowadays, and kick ass.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Fast CPU (especially if you use zbrush or do renders), fast gpu, and tons of ram. Intel CPUs are more expensive but clock-for-clock are faster then AMD ones (and If you can wait till Jan9 the next generation of Intel CPUs will be getting released (Sandy-Bridge)). GPU wise most professionals use NVidia (GTX 580 being the current high end). RAM wise you'll probably want at least 8gb these days on a new machine.

I'd also recommend getting a nice monitor or two, you'll be looking at them a lot.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    For 1300, you could probably get a Core i7, 6 gb of ram, and a good GTX 460 and have enough left over for some nice monitors. Thats probably a good way to go to start.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    But don't forget to install 64bit OS if you want to utilize more than 3.5gigs of your RAM ;)

_Revel
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    i7 950 350$
    MSI x58m 180$
    6gb ddr3 110$
    Nvidia GTX 460 180$
    Plain Lian Li Mid ATX Case 100$
    600w or more power supply 100$
    23inch LCD screen 190$
    Win 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM 120$
    1TB 7200rpm 64mb cache HDD OEM 70$
    Cheap OEM DVD writer 30$

You can use this as a starting point, not including mouse and keyboard
    all that costs around 1430$.

[Edit] I used what I thought was average prices for everything so you should be able to find cheaper prices for these components if you look.....oh yeah and I should explain the Lian Li case, they have the cheapest/quality all aluminum cases you can buy right now.

[Edit2] If you want to save some money, switching the processor to the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, would get you comparable performance (about 95% of the i7 950) at the 190$-240$ range.

The motherboard would have to be switched to Am3 socket, which is usually cheaper too....the more I think about it the more I realize this might be the best route.

and then switch out the GTX 460 with a GTX 480 with the extra money....or whatever.
  • Treacharous
    Anything other than a Mac.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol, is this thread for real?