Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio W.I.P (image heavy)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
Hello all,

I've decided at this point I need to put a portfolio together, but i don't have any really "finished" pieces to put in it. So this thread is a desperate bid to get myself sorted out.

I have a few projects going at the minute, some on the back burner (and have been there awhile) and some I'm actively working on.

I hope to get as much crit, advice, and guidance as possible from the community on what to finish, what to ditch and what needs improvement.

Here's some of the latest pieces I've been working on, some of which is floating around on the forum, but I want to bring it all together.

The Demon: Based on John Kearney's brilliant concept art:

http://j-k.cgsociety.org/gallery/461314/

Screen_001.jpg

Screen_002.jpg

Screen_003.jpg

Just started this guy, but can already tell it's going to be a challenging piece.

The Minotaur:

LargeRender_001.jpg

This guy is just waiting for a retopo pass and a detail pass then he'll be textured, rigged and posed.

Here's a project I was working on awhile ago, it didn't get too far, but might be worth finishing???

Baron: Based on the wonderful concept piece by Keith Thompson:

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/baron.html

Still in the early wip stages but something I would like to finish for the portfolio, should it be worth effort.

Progress:

Baron_002.jpg

Baron_003.jpg

Baron_004.jpg

Baron_005.jpg

Baron_006.jpg

I know this thread probably seems a bit random, but I'm sick of my current job basically. But I'm kinda confused on what to do next... if that makes any sense... hoping the community can shine a guiding light :poly136:

I have other models, mostly Busts and such, not sure if they belong in the portfolio (when I have one).

Replies

• Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Uhm..im loving that armor piece around his junk...Nice...:D

The Demon looks good so far :D !
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, Could we get a 3d turnaround of the monotoar. :)
    just saying cuz the knees look slightly off anatomicly. but it could be the way the animal leg is angled.

I think you should make the armored boner bigger and put some armored testies as well. prefferably with spikes on them.

haha
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 14
    Everything looks pretty awesome. I think if you were to finish those 3 characters they would definitely be strong portfolio peices.
  • Melonman
    I would work a little more on the demon character fingers as the reference points out they have a more muscular shape to them. The minotaur is looking really nice good job on that. The armoured knight piece is really coming along and has good topology to it too. Looked at the reference images and that artist your modelling from has some awesome ideas they seem to twist reality just a hint and really comes into it's own.
    Keep going btw im sure busts would be fine on your showreel if they are all similar quality to the minotaur.

Hope this helps anyways.
  • StevenEgan
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback. The Baron's Cod piece ("Junk Armor")probably won't be getting any Mace ball-pieces lol, but thanks for the idea.

I've started laying down the new topology, still work to be done on it. Also a 3 view image of Minotaur to date. Obviously the internals haven't been modeled yet (nose, eyes, mouth, etc).

NewTopo.jpg

NewTopo2.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback.