Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE3 Medieval scene workthread

Replies

• Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    That last shot with the entrance looks brilliant, imo. Very epic feeling, I just wanted to know what's inside *g*
    Huge and massive stones in the rocky parts, that tell a story already - great stuff !

The earlier (in the video) stonework ruins part still looks like it won't hold up against a tiny windblow, to me. It looks so fragile how the stones are placed on top of each other and not really weathered, aged and prepared to resist the force of mother nature. I don't know, that's just my feelings when I compare it to some "medieval ruin" pictures that I came across.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Awesome work, imo the scene is way too nice to hide it behind this much lensflare :)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the comments, I know the lens flare is a bit bright :) I def want it to feel like super sunny morning it hurts to look at the sun.

Here's some content screens

bZB1.jpg
    BZb2.jpg
    BZB3.jpg
    BZB4.jpg

textures used for lens flare
    BUE1.jpg

pulled back shot of scene
    BUE2.jpg

wireframe of one sections (Lots of polies I know, efficiency wasn't really one of my goals during this :))
    BUE3.jpg

diffuse texture shots
    BUE4.jpg
    BUE5.jpg

lighting only
    BUE6.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Wow this looks good. I thought the flare was fine when it was in motion. In the screenshot it seemed like a little much
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I have question regarding the background meshes, how did you texture them?

Is it atlased superbig map + baked sculpt normal map, or just vertex blended rock/grass tiles + nrm +ao (in which case the result is simply amazing)?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paroxum, it's the 2nd method, except I used textures for the mixing of the terrain layers. I used MentalRay's terrain blend shader to give me some falloffs of shear edges and high areas, I painted some of it in ZB with 3d painting.

The large rocks that aren't the mountain use upZ in the world to place grass, and I can add or subtract from that using vertex color.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    the lighting in this is absolutely stunning! great job. the video is spectacular and awe inspiring.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I really love our lighting only mode in UDK, I'd love to see a game with no real textures, just revelling in the forms, light and shadows
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    JordanW wrote: »
    paroxum, it's the 2nd method, except I used textures for the mixing of the terrain layers. I used MentalRay's terrain blend shader to give me some falloffs of shear edges and high areas, I painted some of it in ZB with 3d painting.

The large rocks that aren't the mountain use upZ in the world to place grass, and I can add or subtract from that using vertex color.

What do you mean they use upZ? Is that part of the shader (I'm guessing, since you are using vertex color)? Could you please explain this? THanks.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry dtshultz that was a terrible way for me to describe it, I basically used a scaled and biased dot product between the objects normal and the world Z Axis to generate a mask between grass and rock. So normals facing up get grass and everything else gets rock. A lot of people use this technique to apply snow or other layered materials.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I really love our lighting only mode in UDK, I'd love to see a game with no real textures, just revelling in the forms, light and shadows

Totally! Quite often it looks better than the actual, lit level!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry dtshultz that was a terrible way for me to describe it, I basically used a scaled and biased dot product between the objects normal and the world Z Axis to generate a mask between grass and rock. So normals facing up get grass and everything else gets rock. A lot of people use this technique to apply snow or other layered materials.

Sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the explanation! I will definitely have to look into that.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Jordan Sweet stuff all around. regarding the bokeh effect? Is that just post processing with something like dot product between lens flare and camera?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16

would you mind if we could see an example of that setup?