Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: ProperSquid

ProperSquid
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ProperSquid polycounter lvl 12
Hello all,

I may as well start this sketchbook with a bit of an introduction. My name is Scott Wilson, and I'm from the (currently) snowy lands of Vancouver, British Columbia. I'm hoping to eventually become a 3d model/ texture/ technical artist for the games industry. Currently, I'm not in school, but I'm hoping to use this thread as a tool to post my art, get critiques, get a portfolio for school, and become a better artist overall.

Current goals: Draw 5 things a week. This week is hands.

Here is what I have so far. (All 15 minute to 30 minute studies. I'm going to try to do a longer study on Friday.) If you can give me critiques, pointers, lessons, or anything, then that is most appreciated.

Tuesday:
hand01.jpg

Wednesday:
hand02.jpg

Thursday (Decided to pull out the charcoal):
hand03.jpg

Once again, comments and critiques are more than welcome. :)

Replies

• SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    nice. i'm also trying to learn drawing hands/feets right now :) not that easy to get the masses right.
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hand04.jpg

Hand number 4! This is roughly an hour study.
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically the first hand of the second week. I may try to do 6 hands this week and then move onto feet next week. I feel as though I'm getting something wrong, and I'm hoping that I could get a pointer on how to do hands.

Also, trying to not do hand related puns is hard.

hand05.jpg
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 more today! Not to crazy about the first one, but I should probably document my failures and successes. Anyways, here you go.
    hand06.jpg

hand07.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Something I'm going to recommend when doing hands - hand studies are great, and being able to represent them accurately in a variety of ways can have outstanding results. But people often spend a lot of time on them copying what they see from books or looking at their own hand, and seem to focus on odd things. From my experience, anyway.

A human hand is something we're all very familiar with. People are going to notice if it's screwed up - but also, our familiarity with it allows us as artists to take some shortcuts. Most people learning, when they draw a hand they make sure they've got all the fingers accounted for, that they put the line at all the joints - segmenting each finger, that they put those major wrinkles on the palm, etc.

Take a look at this:

leonardostannecartoonal.jpg

Leonardo da Vinci's The Virgin and Child with St Anne and St John the Baptist.

There's a hand there that's not even finished, barely more than a blank space with crap all around it - and yet we can tell exactly what it's doing. Unless a hand is going to be a major part of your painting, I'd recommend focusing more on a hand's silhouette, basic outline. If you can suggest a hand and we see it as a hand, mission accomplished.

Just an oddly specific bit of advice.

Edit: Now, I'll also note - looking to become a 3D artist, you will certainly want to be familiar with a hand's structural anatomy. Though I think a similar concept can be applied to 3D art as well as 2D representations.
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly, thank you SimonT and Two Listen for taking the time to respond to my thread. I really appreciate the comments and critiques.

I was told to focus on negative space for this one, so I just pulled out the charcoal and focused on the silhouette. The thumb and the wrist seems a bit thin, but other than that, I'm liking this one. 2 more hands, and then I journey down to the feet.
    hand08.jpg
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, this one I'm semi-happy with. I'm starting to understand how the thumb and fingers work. Although, I need to work on the palm and foreshortening.

hand09.jpg

After I'm done the next hand, I plan to continue studies with the following subjects:
    - Feet
    - Faces/ Heads
    - Dishes/ Pots and Pans
    - Cloth

Other than that, any suggestions for things to study is more than appreciated.
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last hand! I focused on the palm since I know that this is my weakness. Decided to do a short study (15ish minutes), but I think I'm starting to understand the palm more.

hand10.jpg
  • VianReps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest not to use charcoal whilst doing these studies, it's a very quick and bold instrument. In my opinion - if you really want to understand anatomy - grab a copy of Greys Anatomy and look through the illustrations, or go to natural history museum (surgery museum) and spent some time drawing objects there. Anyway - good luck, hope to see more works soon)
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips VianReps. I decided to go back to pencil with this one (per your suggestion). I'm looking into getting myself a copy of Greys Anatomy to further my practices.

foot01.jpg
  • VianReps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.bartleby.com/107/54.html#i219
    and here you go - the entire greys anatomy online http://www.bartleby.com/107/indexillus.html
    Btw - try to draw from the inside out and be more carefull on the outline. Basically start with the simplified skeleton structure , do shadows and highlights to add volume. Try doing a long drawing sessions, don't skip from one drawing to another but just sit and draw something (object in the museum, or a model from life drawing class) for as long as you can (2-4 hours should be enough). The more you observe - the more details you will notice about the form. Quick drawings are perfect when you want to learn about poses, gestures, animation etc
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, thanks for the link. I've been so busy looking at the illustrations that I didn't get a chance to pick up my pencil (so no drawings today).

Out of curiosity, would you suggest that I take the concept of drawing inside out to 3d modeling? (Ie: Create a 3d model of the bones, then muscles, and finally skin)

Once again, thank you for helping by pointing me in the right direction.
  • VianReps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that is unnecessary, just look through anatomy, see how it works, a draw - a lot(not quick and simple though). And whilst you're drawing - make sure that you spent more time looking and measuring the object) This is just a general advice you would get if you were to go to a live drawing class.