Home General Discussion

MFA: Submission without Gallery Portfolio

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
This is way off subject. But if you were in my shoes and only currently have environmental work for games to show for a portfolio since that's where your art has been recently for projects.

How would you fill in the gaps? As in you need to submit sooner than later. Say fuck it and wait another year (which by then I will have character work to show since next project going that direction)? Or even then. Not enough because no real personal non-commercial work to show (i.e. gallery).

In a perfect world I would get offered a grant or at least a TA position. No way can afford otherwise. So it needs to show something they say "we need them here!". Yea yea you can go to the website if you want. But whats on it isn't my recent work and as you see for traditional works, not recent especially.

( I'm doing this for me - this isn't a thread for critiques one way or another for higher education and getting jobs. Most of my digital skills I have learned on my own or from you all.)

Replies

• Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    You don't have anything from your undergrad work? I'd fill it with some of my traditional media stuff maybe.

If you apply this year and get in, great. If you don't... well you were saying you were going to apply next year with character art so apply again.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in a "design and technology" MFA program at Parsons. My portfolio isn't that great art-wise, but whoever saw it liked what they saw and I got a good chunk of scholarship money / those incredibly forgiving federal student loans, and a bunch of people in the program also still work part-time.

... I guess what I'm saying is to look into alternative "new media" MFAs that are popping up at decent art / design schools. Video games certainly fall under their mandate, and many don't care about gallery portfolios -- just a portfolio of some kind. And they're willing to give you money.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    please don't take offense, I am not by any means 'poo-pooing' higher education.. but why would you get a MFA? To teach?

You got a BFA in 2000, a 3d certificate in 2005, anatomy courses in 2006. What is an MFA going to give you the BFA isn't? A piece of mind that you are learned?

Will the money you make be offset by the money you earn?

What are you looking to get out of your MFA?

Do you see tons of alumni getting work that have completed their MFA's?

Just wondering..You say you are doing it for you, if so go for it, since it doesn't look like you are in a hurry take the year off put your work together.. do you have your sculpting stuff from Halo some pics at least, some of the work you've done airbrushing, etc.. That should do it, I don't think what you have should stop you, they need to fill a seat and your money is as good as anyones.

Do what you want to do. I don't 'personally' see a reason for an MFA in 'our fields of study'.. but knock yourself out if that's what you want to do. If I could take my BFA back, I would grab the cash I spent for it and just take the time and money back and use Polycount U. I could have almost bought a house with the money I paid for school for my BFA, I can't imagine wanting to sink 2 more years for what I've gotten out of having a BFA so far.. the only thing I've gotten was debt, and a severe lack of education for my money.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite: Esprite 10 year old undergrad work isn't gonna cut it. :) . Im in contact with the director and see what they are after I guess. If all else it might be a good time to work in dorkbots on a collaboration project.
    please don't take offense, I am not by any means 'poo-pooing' higher education.. but why would you get a MFA? To teach?

Its a fair question and the below.

-To learn more in a structured environment from peers face to face. About areas I otherwise would not get to experience on my own.
    -To be able to apply easier for visas outside the US
    -To have a place where I am able to explore the new media and technology otherwise un accessable. Such as the giant 3d bucky balls they have for VR. Or the medical games they have to help with burn victims. Or working with a electrical engineer to design a installation piece.
    -To help me with my creative arts. With having that peer review that focuses not only on the implementation. But the idea. What are you trying to say with your work? (This is to help with my "art" side versus my commercial side.
    Will the money you make be offset by the money you earn?

Its not about money. Its about self growth.

see a reason for an MFA in 'our fields of study'.. but knock yourself out if that's what you want to do.

Thats the issue I think your missing. This isn't about getting a job or commercial art. Its about my personal art and projects. This is about me becoming a more rounded artist. If anything I would hide a mfa on commercial work unless as I said above it was overseas offers.

But yes. I would want to wanted by such a program enough that Im not paying out the ear just for the "privilege" of attending.

Let me give you a taste. I have a project I wanted to do that was called the Peter Principle Merry Go Round. That involved both a virtual and a real working model of a carousel with real physical desks around it with mini games that get dumber as you get promoted higher.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You only have environmental work and you count that as a bad thing?

Environment Artist is an entire position in itself, and each project has many, many environment artists.

Don't spread yourself thin trying to learn 'everything,' that is pointless to employers. Employers are looking for the best of the best in specific areas. Best audio editing and music composition, best environment art, best character modeling, best concept art, best writing, most innovative programming/best understanding of programming....
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    if it's nothing but self growth, go ahead and go for it now. I would think you'd have enough bullet points to apply. Also sounds like you would enjoy a Atelier experience if you have any of those types of classes around. Good luck sounds cool.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is an Atelier program locally. They just don't offer a sculpture focused one. It also just would help with technical proficiency. Not with creating ideas. (Nor would get me the all important "get a work visa easier" to travel the world)

Anyone in the Washington area if you do want an Atelier. Go here.
    http://www.gageacademy.org/adult/?page=atelier&subpage=atelier_classical

(RexM. Not everything is about making money or making one self suitable for employment. Life is bigger than that and I hope your own art growth allows you to explore areas that you have interest in versus what will get you hired alone).