Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Roel Coucke, 3D & Environment Artist

Hi,

I'm looking for an internship, so I thought let's also share my portfolio to get some feedback and make some more connections.

http://www.roelcoucke.com

Feel free to give me feedback or contact me for an intern :poly121:
Thanks.

Replies

• 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dflasher polycounter lvl 17
    Dude your stuff is hotness...top notch work.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Great website - love that you have your CV online AND as PDF. Work is great but the SciFi scene is you weakest part u think. I think you could do the lighting better - it's to monochrome i guess. The rest is awesome!

Question: How did you do the flame textures for your fire Fx? It would be better to have a movie of it than pictures ;)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    In general, the site elements feel rather big - with half of this PC's screen being consumed by the flash banner, it feels sort of wasteful. Especially as it doesn't link anywhere (the images could link to their asset pages, or back to home for instance).

You've made the site 1024 pixels wide. This means that on older monitors with a resolution of 1024x768, you'll always have this very small amount of scrolling. I'd make it 950~975 wide or something. Possibly by removing the 2 empty boxes on the right and reducing the width of the header and footer images.

"skill to maintain " ... "with little to no stretching" ... " books about/concerning AI, physics, programming"
    There are some more errors throughout the text, as well as some awkward sentence structures. Some of them because are structured as Dutch sentences:
    Overall, to be critic and welcome to be criticized to at long last create high quality artwork. -> Giving and receiving criticism with the purpose of improving results for everyone involved.
    Dutch: Mother tongue -> Dutch: native language
    Try to avoid symbols like the ampersand(&), instead just write 'and'. Similarly, use words for small numbers such as 'second round'. Why is your education 3 times the same? Instead put '2008 - present'.

In general, your 'skills' section could do with a rewrite. You're trying to point out several things at once, in several sentences. Have one sentence specifically about optimization instead of cramming it in with modeling and texturing.

And watch your cylinder sides. On the mech, almost all cylinders are 9 sided, even though some of them are 4x as large as others, and some of the smaller ones have some hardly-discernable bevels and insets as well. Similarly, the Kriss's flashlight(? the hole in the black part) has less sides than the smallest screw floater, and the frontgrip looks rather blocky too.

p.s. your friends also use 1024 pixel wide images. any specific reason for that?
  • Reap3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Snader:
    Thanks for the feedback, I've made some changes, check it out => www.roelcoucke.com

About the models, the cylinder sides could indeed be more logical.
    However, the gun for instance has more detail on the side and the top, since this is always closely in view by the player, the flashlight and the frontgrip not.
    But you have a point there and I will certainly approach this differently in new projects.

The reason why I used 1024 wide screen is because my google analytics show that only two percent uses a 1024x768 resolution and nothing lower than that. Vertical amount scrolling however, will be indeed a bit small, but for only two percent of the viewers I'm not changing it.
  • Reap3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ SimonT: The flames were sampled from a real fire photo, just mask out some of the flames, put them in a grid two by two and play them randomly.

A video of the particles-system was added to the blog => http://www.roelcoucke.com/blog/
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ehhhh, I wouldn't worry about the site being 1024 wide. Thats a good width and if any director/hr/producer is looking at your work on a 1024 by 768 resolution, they've got issues. This isn't 1995.

I really like the style of the site and how you've incorporated wordpress, unfortunately this might present some issues if you have future assets vs environment work. Categorizing them will be important.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Perfect portfolio for someone wanting to get into the industry. I don't think it will be very long before your snapped up.

Well presented, straight to the point and pretty good work. You show engine related experience which is a massive plus and you touch on different aspects of modelling and texturing.

The only criticism I have is that your work is very noisy, its sometimes overwhelming that the composition of what your trying to create is lost. It would also be nice to see more high polygon sampling and a bit more polish on mapping work. But all in all very good portfolio for someone wanting to break into the industry.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the overall style of your portfolio and color scheme its interesting. You seem to have some solid modeling/texturing skills and good presentation of the models. I personally would like to have seen the hi-poly model wireframes like you did the low poly. Good luck to you.
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. It isn't often I like the more complex sites, but yours pulls it off well. The entire portfolio in one PDF is an awesome idea. If there is one criticism I have, perhaps you could show the entire texture map, even if shrunk down. The giant overlay texture layout I found really jarring and there were parts of some maps I couldn't see, but wanted to.