Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horse

viv
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
viv polycounter lvl 9
Hi there!
i've recently work for a mmo horse game, called " horse star".
I've done some sculpting and texturing on the main horse,here is some render grab in max viewport:) feats Xoliulshader 1.5
Voila !!

horse_04.jpg
horse_03.jpg
horse_02.jpg
horse_01.jpg

Replies

• Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    nice :)

I'd say the ribs are a bit too prominent, and the hoofs are too bright but it's more a personal taste than a real criticism :)

Really nice renders, I'd like to see the animations :poly142:
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really nice great attention to the muscles, I'd say time to whip out the old Muybridge ref's

09795233607417124.gif
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good!

I think the neck is too long though, especially compared to that gif posted by RAWTalent.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work dude, it looks great. The thing that stands out to me the most are the alpha planes for the hair. I think they could use a bit of work, mainly the tail.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Nice!!!

I usually draw horses to study the anatomy of the animals, and man you nailed it very nicely :)

I do agree with the head being just a bit long though :P

Nicely done! Great texture and presentation :P
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know much about horses, but I'm completely sold on this model. Fantastic job. My only nitpick would be the tail opacity.
    http://www.vivienmg.com/images/horsestar/horse_03.jpg
    here in the lower right part of the tail. it's just to rigid of a transition. I know that it's a minor thing but it really pops out, because everything else looks stellar.
    Other then this once again great job!

p.s. Am I the only one who giggled reading "mmo horse game". It's just amazing what technology can bring us.
    (just in case I didn't mean nothing bad, just never thought I'd ever see a "mmo horse game" XD damn I'm giggling again=)
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! Can we see some wires and tris count?
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    @Cremuss : yeah I think you're right for the hoofs, too much spec, and the integration is none, thx you for the feedbacks .
    @RAWTalent: thank you ! Hey I used this refs, it's... totally mesmerizing ^_^
    @Rico: Thx Rico!
    @Sean_EG: Thx men ! yeah I agree with you, the hairs are a bit too low res, done too quickly. quick work is dangerous.
    @Jungsik: appreciate, I understand you draw them, horses are fascinating.
    @d1ver: yeah, it's a kind of equestrian simulation, so... the kind of game most of the gamers won't ever play of there life, I prefer take a ride on Red dead :p
    @Cheese_Shinobi: Thx ! about 1600 poly, the base mesh is from David Demaret,
    horse_05.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Your hair alphas are lacking compared to the rest of the model, and they distract me something terrible. Other than that, though, that is definitely a good looking horse. I've always heard animating horses is a pain in the ass, so I imagine the topology for this model accommodates for that. Interesting stuff!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    @PatrickL : now i can only see that terrible hair too ^_^ I'll make some this week end, thx for comments !
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Can you make Epona!! So much Zelda art on here lately anyways
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, great work man, cool to see something different being made with my shader.
    After playing RDR i was so amazed by the horses I'd almost wanna create one myself, yours defnitely gets close. I think perhaps it's skin is just a tad too shiny for me. It looks like it has really short hair that looks a bit oily, or brushed very very neatly. Lower spec, but more gloss variation could sell the effect better. Also, are you using a global specular color? It looks like all the spec has a uniform orange tint.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful model!

do this and be king.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    awesome bit of work :D
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    @itismario : thx ! yep, normally new hairs this week ; )
    @marq4porsche : or maybe a mature link... hum hum...I focus first on predom WAr : p
    @Xoliul : hey thx, it was a pleasure to use your shader, great job, well I am using a specmap with grey tint.Then I put some rime light, maybe too much... I'll test with some gloss variation and add some colors spec this weekend, it should be better, anyway I'll test it's an interesting test to do, thx you for the feedbacks !
    @killingpeople : thx a lot ! hey what a crazy stunt we have here, here is one not bad at all ^_^
    @MephistonX : :] thx !
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great job man. I think the neck looks too long because the colar bone area is quite low. Also the horse seems overly thin to me and doesn't give as much a sense of weight as I imagine for a horse. I made a horse a while back and I know how incredibly hard it can be. since horses come in all shapes and sizes, honestly u can never please everone and cosistant referance is especially hard to come by. But again great job man.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it but yeah the Horse's neck seems really really long to me. Like 'Nope.avi' long. I can't find many horses with neck's that long in a google image search.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    022.jpg

i agree , although most of the time you don't see the horses neck actual length, because it has his neck in an arch position. on this pic hes stretched out.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    How do you get that clean looking pinch right at the end of a muscle? Or where they meet?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really great, although seeing what RAWtalent has posted makes me think that there should be another joint showing, or at least some evidence of one. Maybe its because of the way its posed, might not matter in terms of game animation.
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    @BradMyers82 : yeah It was all about refs selection, by the fact that, when a horse make a simple move, you've got about hundred muscle moving, making a normal map insinuate to make a reflexion of global muscle,( I don't know if my sentence work :| ) and so make choice of witch reference to use...It was a kind of refs battle(In Red Dead you've got an great normal map morphing, it make the muscle more real,add a great feeling, I don't know how much nm they put on, I think two maybe...) thx you for critics !
    @madmuffin, lampekap & Target_Renegade : yep the neck is a bit too long, the original mesh don't have this long neck, I fucked up with the zbrush posing, thx for the feedbacks, I'll tweak that!
    @frell : I Used clay brush to make volume that make the pinch aspect,(no pinch brush ) the clean aspect is maybe the smooth brush :)