Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: telmac

Im very new to this sort of stuff, and to illustration in general, so please be nice. Almost everything up to these is pretty horrible, and these arent so great either, so im just not going to post those.

hank_green_illustration_by_telmacblack-d32bgbc.jpg
reference: URL="http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/files/images/hankgreen1.jpg"]link[/URL

7wcV
reference: URL="http://robriel-stock.deviantart.com/art/Swash-and-Buckle-6-135784957?q=in:resources+sort:time+illustration+reference&qo=179"]link[/URL

Replies

• telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7Jat
    Some value study [WIP]
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7Kjr
    I has stopped where to opacity cuts off, and then when i realized that i had nothing to put below, i moved the whole thing down and tried to make longer branches.
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since i started to spam up The waywo thread with my quick doodles enough for someone to complain, im moving all of that stuff over here.

working on wheezywaiter:
    8x7d

An alien thing:
    8x77

Some sorta giant chin guy with a cape:
    8x79

An axe:
    8x7b
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I would really like to see you stay on one of these a bit longer.

Each time you stop well before they're at a spot where we can really critique them.

looks like you've got basic shading down. you should try pushing it a little farther and add some hot-spots and work on surface types.

your axe needs a much bigger blade. it looks more like a hammer as is.

keep posting!
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    It seems like your first drawing had the most work put in it and like Sectaurs suggest, try and spenld more time on them. Don't be afraid to do shitty stuff, becuase we all do them and that's how we learn : )
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    The best advice for you right now is to zoom out and use a bigger brush. Do you see how the surface quality on your drawings is really scratchy? Don't try to go in for detail before you've laid down some sold base tones and have the overall form right. Keep the canvas zoomed out to 25%-33%, and never have your brush be smaller than a dime on the screen. It'll force you to not go in for details and make you actually spend time on the base tones first.

Also, you need to manage your layers and backgrounds better. Start with a background layer that's got a medium grey. Then do a second layer for linework-- block out those forms. That being done drop that linework to a 30% opacity and set it to multiply, then make a layer below it to do your actual paint / color. As you work over the form you'll be able to phase out the linework.

Try this out, and let's see what you come up with.
    Keep sloggin away man.
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt even notice that people posted here, they almost never do.

@Sectaurus I kinda lose it when i get frustrated and im having trouble moving much further with this stuff. Ive always had trouble with surfaces, things end up looking like plastic. I should spend some time trying to paint glass and metal.

@wake I like starting on a canvas maybe 700x700 and using a 20 pixel brush. I usually work outward and build on things moving randomly through adding things. I kinda aim for the end result with how i start, which i know is way wrong. ive been trying to use bigger brushed with less detail and work that in later, but its heard.

Ive also been trying to learn to just use a palette and stick to it. This is harder from reference, but I'm doing all right with non reffed. On to recent work.

Pig nosed doodle while watching chuck. I kinda had the fuu face thing in mind while i worked on this (what i mean)
    8ITF

study of a painting of John adams for school:
    8IU0

I had started working on a few other things in color, but kept giving up. I really do need to pump out something finished, no matter how bad it is.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    hey telmac--
    i forgot to mention this in my last post; make sure you lay down a base coat, it'll make a big difference. If you're working in black and white like the portrait above, set down a medium gray over the area of the face with a darker color for the general area of the hair. From there darken the pits of the eyes and capture other larger shadows of the face before you really begin rendering.

Same goes for color-- for John Adams up there set a good warm skin tone down first, that way you won't be fighting the white as you start rendering in new areas. Also, avoid rendering on white, as it can skew your perception of color. Stick to medium tones in the background, gray for working in black and white and and a low chroma color otherwise. Also for color using a cool background (blues and purples) for a warm palette (reds and oranges) and vice versa can work really well too.

Another point is that it's important to bring up the whole canvas together. That is, instead of rendering one eye all the way, then the mouth, then the chin etc., it needs to be more like how a progressive jpg loads-- you slowly bring up the focus on the entire image together. Otherwise you can end up with a kind of disjointed look for a painting, and often lends itself to problems with proportions.

That's why I keep hammering on about using a big brush, as that helps prevent you from doing exactly that-- you can't detail the eye if your brush is the same size as it.

Speaking of which, crank that brush size. After you've laid down a good base coat you should be working with a big fat brush size, about 5 to 10 times bigger than what you have been here.

Good luck and don't worry, everyone gets discouraged from time to time. Just keep on pluggin away, that's what makes all the difference. Keep posting and I'll do my best to make sure you get some kind of feedback if no one else pitches in.
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was bigger, i guess not as big as you guys would like...

God i love gimp... I dont know why ive been using photoshop for painting.
    8QmZ
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    awesome stuff you have around here :) love it .. keep it up
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8UIE

I think the linework is done. Someone sent me "chickenonaraft.com" so i had to do this. Im going to finish this. I think.

(by the way, i used wikipedia's chicken image for reference: CHICKEN)

edit: added some color to the chicken as well as basic shading to everything.
    8URI
  • MayaAW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    telmac wrote: »
    It was bigger, i guess not as big as you guys would like...

God i love gimp... I dont know why ive been using photoshop for painting.
    8QmZ

If you can get a student copy of painter I highly recommend it!!! Much better for painting and rendering out paintings and drawings if you have a tablet. That is another thing that I find is a pain to get used to if you are used to a physical medium. The tablet is the demons seed sometimes.
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8XW3
    Ill deal with the detail later, this is pretty good for now.
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm,tinygrab removed my images? il try to fix this.

9Uu49Uu4
    a slightly foxier and older chibiterasu.
    it seems polycount hates tinygrab, so now all my links are useless D:
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've completely forgotten about polycount... goodness me!

A friend gifted me HL1 (and hl2, but I'm waiting to play it for now), so i drew a heabcrabtopus :3

560921b8248d0327a30245b4a9259ab1_16194290.jpg

I made some sorta retro radio thing, my first proper color, its all right...

480de5ce8f72c37da865547908ce512c_16194326.jpg

Bella, my dog <3

9941cb82a551b674c39c136dbf345976_16194334.jpg

Everything else I've started recently has ended up crap, so thats all to post...

Oh, and these two things...

f16852d0d135b212413e742923d80fb1_15320861.jpg

8201f50564eb690aac61c027e65f57ff_15541785.jpg