Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

TRON-VEHICLE-Daniel

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dani polycounter lvl 9
Hey:),

To be honest I never saw the original Tron movie so therefore I've decided to get inspiration from the new movie. I'm surprised to not see any bikes yet, from what I understand its the classic Tron vehicle:poly124: so I'm going to give the bike a go and see what I can come up with. This seems to be shaping up like a fun contest.

Good luck all.

Day 01:

Managed to get the whole bike fleshed out and even put them into a Tron scene (all credits to the guys who make the movie^^) to see what they look like in perspective.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

references.jpg
perspectivev.jpg

scenem.jpg

topfrontandside.jpg

Thanks, let the C&C begin.

ps: Is it allowed to add an environment around my bike outside of the vehicle budget? It says that environments are allowed to add vehicles or characters but what about the other way around?

Replies

• Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Great start. I think you've got the form of the bike just right. My only crit is that the hands seem a little thin.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool as. I am keen to see how it looks with some rad texture love.
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    As was suggested I reworked the arms a bit and I think this looks a alot better then the tiny arms he had before:thumbup:.

Let me know what you think:poly142:.

modelupdate.jpg

I've also spent a bit of time on the Uvw's, since we are allowed to use two 512x512 maps I decided to split the model up in two maps, one containing the character pieces and the other containing the bike itself.

36689269.jpg
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Done a base pass on the texture, still lots of stuff to fix.....

really my first time I actually hand paint everything from scratch so its a real learning experience.

texturingprogress.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The light disk could definitely use some more sides. Sacrifice some from the ears or that one lost loop on his back. And I think you can get rid of the bevels around his visor Unless you're going to animate the visor, those details are too small to be noticed.

Have you also noticed that your wheels aren't the same size?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    found this the other day, thought I'd drop it here:
    tron-legacy-papercraft-light-cycle-300x300.jpg
    also a nice reference sequence of the bike:
    http://www.madedigital.co.uk/no_legacy/tron_legacy.jpg
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    thx, working on improving the points mentioned. that reference will come in handy espacially since the blocky shape and material definitions on that ref are much easier to read then most of the movie material since its hard to figure out what material the bikes in tron are made of (yeah i know its inside a computer huh:poly124:).

update coming soon... thanks all!
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    ey,

So I wasn't really satisfied with the model and decided to redo it, currently working on the texture. My aim is to get it in a finished state this weekend and then make the final tweaks/composition.

Let me know what you think.

update0.jpg
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Much better uv layout, well done!
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    ey,

Litle update, to make my entry a litle stronger I redid the final shot. The basic elements are still there (lightcycle and character) but I ended up making the character a female and sitting next to the bike resting.

I personally like this composition but if you have any crits/comments then please let me know and I will try to see if I can implement them.

finalscenelayoutwithpai.jpg

And a quik paintover to get the feeling:)

finalscenelayoutwithpai.jpg
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Update:

been texturing the girl, I'm a bit stuck on some of the materials and how to best represent them in the texture (seeing that this is my first lowpoly character (or character at all) ever I'm learning alot), have tried to use max's viewport canvas but its proven to be a bitch for me. Anyone else getting lag while painting in max? Must be some sort of gpu related thingy....

Anyways here's the update. As always crits are verry welcome.

update2.jpg
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Been working hard on this:

- Textured everything.
    - Rigged the character now called Jana (don't ask why it just sounded right:poly142:)
    - Put everything together for an ingame mockup.

Now I would love to know what you guys think about the following shot. I've been staring at it for too long and maybe I've missed a few things that I could still improve before I call it final.

ingamemockup.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That's a whole lotta black sky. How about some lightning? Or a beam of light somewhere? The menu options look like the texture was matted on black? Looks like it's getting some bleed through. It's also a smidge hard to read. Maybe try putting a solid black outline around it, then have the glow beyond that? I dunno, something to try! :)
    Looking cool though, nice little scene.
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the tips, will try to make the sky a bit less black maybe add some interesting things to it, kind of running out of time:P tomorrow is my last day to work on this before I go on holliday:) I already deleted the current menu (i agreed it didn't look right) and thinking about what to make of it. (black lines around it sound good will give that a try).

Will post update somehwere tomorrow.
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    I'm leaving on holliday tonight so this will be my final. Wish I could've done a bit more to the sky than just light it a bit more but leaving in a couple of hours and this will have to do. I wish everyone who entered the comp. good luck and a happy 2011!

Quik review: Since this was my first character I'm quite happy how it turned out, I am sad though that I cannot put some more time into it due to my holliday (some obvious mistakes I would have loved to give some attentiont) however its been a valuable experience for me to go trough the full process of making a character and presenting it to a community (keeping in mind the fact that I am a bussiness student and have taught myself trough the internet mostly). Good luck to all!

Name: Dani