Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Assassins creed guy thing

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
161bwhg.png

I personally dont think its very good, but im willing to start over possibly and make Ezio or something.

The more and more i went back to http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=78284&highlight=assassins+creed to think of ideas i felt mine looked worse and worse.

Replies

• [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while I personally don't know your accurate skill ability in modeling or texturing, I don't think one should ever look so badly upon their own work. If you don't think it's good and clearly state it, why would you want us to see it and bother posting it? Plus everything is a learning experience and you can only get better as an artist as time goes on. While yes, I think we both can agree that there is a total quality difference between assassin's creed and your model, but you still CLEARLY captured the style and look; you have a good jumping off point it just needs to be taken farther.

I personally believe that anyone who has played or is familiar with the game series could glance at your models and the first thought in their head would be Assassin's Creed, and that's hard to do. So kudos to you for being able to do something a lot of artists fail at doing.

Now with all that said, if you feel you can do better, go do it and show us and be more confident! :D
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    they look grumpy.. :(
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    while I personally don't know your accurate skill ability in modeling or texturing, I don't think one should ever look so badly upon their own work. If you don't think it's good and clearly state it, why would you want us to see it and bother posting it? Plus everything is a learning experience and you can only get better as an artist as time goes on. While yes, I think we both can agree that there is a total quality difference between assassin's creed and your model, but you still CLEARLY captured the style and look; you have a good jumping off point it just needs to be taken farther.

I personally believe that anyone who has played or is familiar with the game series could glance at your models and the first thought in their head would be Assassin's Creed, and that's hard to do. So kudos to you for being able to do something a lot of artists fail at doing.

Now with all that said, if you feel you can do better, go do it and show us and be more confident! :D
    Haha thanks. Well im planning to eventually do another character so i posted this to see what i could do differently. I now realize that it is hard to get critic on something that i havent posted any maps or wires to, which i will do tomorrow :P.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Overall, I think he looks a bit too rigid, too flat. Needs more character. I really like how the metal chest piece has been textured though.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    The biggest problems I see in terms of design and execution are that your characters don't have interesting overlapping forms on them, and thus don't have an interesting silhouette.

Their clothes and armor won't look like it was put on one piece at a time and worn layer upon layer, and instead look like part of a one piece costume.

I'm not saying this to be mean either. ;) It's just you need to accent the joint areas and places where one piece of overlapping clothing goes over another. Let some fabric hang or puff out, get a half-tuck in there or something.

It's especially apparent on the metal armor pieces. Contrary to what you see a lot of concepts show, armor is usually worn on top of several layers of clothing and padding, so it protrudes a significant amount from the body, restricting movement for extra protection. So puff those chest plates and cuirasses out a bit, give them proper collars and joints to allow for movement, etc. Just pay attention to how clothes and armor are actually worn, not just taped on like a store bought one piece costume.

As you do this, you'll start to notice the silhouettes on your models will naturally get more interesting.

As it stands right now, your silhouettes are basically the same as someone wearing casual clothes.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that reply vertrucio, that was very helpful. As soon as i find a style of character id like to recreate i will be doing it with your post in mind. Ill be continuing this thread as soon as thanksgiving break starts :) Right now im practicing on my head sculpting.

Also, some questions about workflow. Right now ill make a low poly ready to sculpt mesh, cut it in half where it will have symmetry and then uv map that half of the body, re symmitrize(sp?) and export and start sculpting. Im think it might be better to sculpt and then uv. And as usual, texturing last.