Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Michael C. Hall - Dexter Morgan head WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
Howdy! Trying to get some practice with a realistic head sculpt.

Right now I'm mostly just working on the form, and I'm about to turn symmetry off and start going into more detail - but I figured I'd see if I could get some input first so I can fix any big issues before moving forward.

dextermorganWIP.jpg
dexterreff.jpg

Thanks for looking

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Try to get an exact frontal picture of him and Nail the features of his face, The best way to get it looking the same way as he does its to copy all the measures of his face.

Also, try to make his expression less smiley :P
  • Talbot
    I would say use either of these pictures. The first one is good because it has that creepy smile. But the other one is good too. I actually have a mostly finished painting of the second one somewhere on my computer. :P

dexter-logo.jpg

dexter-dexter-369389_1280_1024.jpg
  • A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    It's a great start but I don't think you've nailed the basic forms on the reference yet. The lips are a bit too long/wide and the top lip seems a little bit too thin compared to the ref. The above pics would be a better ref to use (as mentioned.) Hope this helps you.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies/images guys. I had some more references than what I posted, but I didn't have too good of a dead-on one. I think the proportions are looking better now, + some more work.

michael_c_hall_continued.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for double post, but I've done some more. This isn't quite as complete as I'd wanted it but it was a good study, so I think I'll move onto some other faces now.

But before I commit to being done with this, if you guys have any suggestions let me hear them.

High poly:
    dex_mud.jpg
    Low-poly (4,563 tris - was aiming for something in the range of the faces in Uncharted)
    dex_max.jpg
    Normal mapped and in-engine (unity):
    dex_unity.jpg

The hair's a bit of a trainwreck. Not really sure where to go with it.
  • Razgriz
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Hey Luke - looking pretty good man. The likeness is fairly close and the bake looks clean, save an artifact or two. The hair doesn't look awful, but its kind of small, and that's probably the biggest thing that would throw off the likeness. From the references you posted it seems the cheeks are a little pouted forward for a smirk, and gives him a really goofy profile; the jaw also seems a bit square and not angular enough from the side as well. I would guess that pulling the chin out and lips back a bit might solve a lot of this.

I think the topology is a bit unevenly distributed to subdivide enough to get the detail you would want if you're going to sculpt the hair on right on top of the model. There are a ton of loops near the eyes and mouth that don't break the silhouette that you could knock out without a problem, and then add quite a bit more into the hair to bring back into mudbox.

Awesome job, though - clean it up to use for animation II and you'll save yourself a lot of work and frustration, and will probably have a wealth of audio clips to choose from as well. God knows I had a heck of a time trying to merge my messy Orson Welles sculpt into my project because I didn't have a complete head beforehand, its a complete mess at the moment.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment Dave!

I adjusted a few things you mentioned a bit, just trying to make the likeness better, and added a bit more detail to the sculpt in Zbrush, plus tried to make a few better looking renders (see below.)

And ah, that's a good idea for Animation II, I'll clean up the low-poly by then for sure. I might make something new and better by that time though, I'm only JUST taking intro to 3d animation. It was my intention to retopologize but I never got around to it, so my low-poly is essentially just a lower-level of the sculpt. So when I stop being lazy the detail distribution and topology in general should definitely be better.

New renders:
    dm_1.jpg
    dm_2.jpg
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    If you overlay the reference image with your sculpt you'll see a lot of things proportionately and shape-wise are wrong with him. I wouldn't recommend "moving on" until you have something that would be directly recognizable as him. And if I didn't know you're making Dex beforehand I probably wouldn't have guessed. Keep at it duder!