Home Technical Talk

Ambient Occlusion trouble in 2011?

Hello everyone, I’m new to the 3D modeling scene having started some introductory courses in 3D Modeling and Game Art at Austin Community College. They have been very helpful in getting me started but everyone says, especially our instructor, that the real way to master the craft is to spend time on the forums. Here then is my first question:

For the Game Art class our instructor gave us a detailed process for going about creating a finished low poly asset for a game. However we have encountered a problem with creating the Ambient Occlusion using this process in 3ds Max 2011. Sometimes, it seems to vary from system to system, when hiding the faces of the low poly object so that the AO bake will only record the high poly object it still treats them as if they were visible. They look hidden and it says they are hidden but it still calculates them. This only seems to happen on 2011.

For a little more detail of the process we have already created a low poly model and assigned UVs and then have gone on to create a high poly object and have burned the normal map. We then set up the renderer and converted the low poly object from an Editable Poly to an Editable Mesh. Now we set up the “render to texture” and “push” or manually adjust the Cage under the Projection modifier to cover the high poly object. Finally we go back down the stack to the Face normal selection of the Editable Mesh and select all the faces and “hide” them. Now according to the process it should bake the AO correctly.

So, has anyone else experienced this problem in 3ds Max 2011 and if so does anyone know of a work-around? I’ve heard that there are other ways to create the Ambient Occlusion map, can anyone give me an alternate process or direct me to tutorial for one?

Thanks,
Jesse

Replies