Home Technical Talk

Importing problems in Topogun.

So I save my model as an OBJ file in Maya, and then take it over to Topogun, and it seems that all of my hard edges look like they have been softened creating weired looking artifacts and shadows, and one especially high poly part of the model is see through, as if the normals were reversed or something (but they're not). The model is a bit over 600,000 polys.

How would I fix this? I can't tell if the problem is the way I'm saving it in Maya, or if maybe there is a setting in Topgun that I need to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump.

Doesn't anyone have any solutions for this? I'm really stuck for this problem.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before you export to any other application. I would recommend you always use "conform" function under the "normals" tab. It will take all faces and set them all in 1 direction (Being either facing out, or inward).

Hope this helps, Cheers!
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you CrazyMatt, that did solve one problem. I should have known that was what it was, but I was so sure I didn't have any of the normals inside out. Should have just checked anyway, but I thought the problem might have been in Topogun since I'm just learning how to use it.

But I still have the other problem in Topogun where any hardened edges look softened, and it's creating artifacts. It's making it hard to retopogise (is that a word?) the model since I can't see all the angles properly.

Can anyone help me on this point?