Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Stave Church - Fable Style

Elith2
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

For a university group project, me and 5 other guys are designing models that would fit into the world of Fable 2.

We decided to run with a nordic style and out of the models i decided to go with a Stave Church.

And here is a photo of a Stave Church.

gol-stavkirke.jpg

There are still bits to be added to the model a bell ontop of the round spire, but i want to make it look abit more slap dash and thrown together as though its been an after thought.

But here is what i have so far.

Church9.jpg

Church10.jpg

Comments and Crits are more than welcome :)

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I wish I could make this text flash...

TOO DARK!!

It looks quite nice... as far as I can make out through squinted eyes and tilting back my monitor at weird angles! brighten it up some!
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks man i shall do, sorry about it being so dark i didnt even think when i was taking the renders. I'll get some new shots up in the next half hour or so with better lighting.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i see blue tiles.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry about the really dark images again, hopefully these will give you a better idea :)

Are blue tiles a bad thing? :P

Church12.jpg

Church13.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Looks better but dont render in a black back it kills your silhouette.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure on Fables style too much but this is looking good. Just for presentation peices, put it in a simple environment so show it off.

Style is looking good so far, any more buildings or model you are planning?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    this would be awesome if you rendered it on a lighter background. go to the 'rendering' tab at the top, scroll down to 'environments', and change the background color to more grayish.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    @Alberto Rdrgz

Thanks for checking back :) yeah once i have a little more done to this ill update it and without the black background.

@jimmypopali

Hey man, currently it is a fair bit off finished, so once thats all done it will be put in some form of small scene, there are people working on other buildings for the project so there is always a chance that they will all be placed together to see how they all work together and thank you for the comment :)

@Jessica Dinh

Thank you for the feedback :) This is rendered in UDK though, sorry if i didnt point that out and i think thats how you change it in maya the way you have said?
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, not a huge update on where i am but other uni project have been taking up a fair bit of my time, there are some glaring faults and still a fair bit to do or just change. But yes here is where i am currently with the project. I think the scaffolding is working in making the bell tower looking tacked on.

Apologies in advance about the black background still, not really sure how to change that in UDK yet. It will be in a scene by the time i complete the project.

Thanks for looking :)

Church18.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Mh, I don't know, that looks a tiddle repetetive. I mean sure it's about the modular approach, but from other's doing similar work I got the feeling it's really about making sure it does not get that tiled look all over.
    The left building with the 3x duplicated wooden support and the 2x duplicated window and roof structure for example. Looks like it was taken and moved.

I think for example you could have made the one wooden beam different at the 2 endings and then mirrored and rotated it, so you got 2 possible variations.
    Also not having every roof the same size and position would help a lot. Some bends and moved around vertices and I'll be sure it'll break up the monotone look of things.
    Moreover you could move the windows position so it's not aligned perfectly.
    For the roof texture I think you should really create a lower rim texturepart to texture the edges of the roof - should make a huge difference !

The extensive use of the crossed wooden parts on the right are really not helping the repetetive look. 18x same visible structure are really overkill, imo. Maybe think about a different kind of system there ?

Also I think the roof texture is too bright in general, as well as it looking cartoony whereas the rest looks much more realistic and closer to fable's style. The roof screams WOW to me - actually looks a lot like certain other roof textures some guys painted in similar wow style environments. Maybe make sure to give the texture a cohesive look alltogether.

Gonna be interesting to see how it turns out. Being a Uni Project it sure is hard to keep things going and finish in time, I guess :)
    Hope you keep working on this piece and make it shine !
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    @Acumen

Thanks for that :) I will do my best with making it seem more varied, thats my own fault and rushing it a bit.

And yeah none of us in the group im in at uni could make our minds if the tiles were working or not, i think it got to a stage it had been sitting on our models for so long we just assumed it looked fine.

Thankfully i can still work on this one over christmas before i have to hand it in so ill have some free time to really rip it apart.

Thank again for the feedback :) hopefully i won't disappoint.