Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

UPCP is Back and Needs You!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little late to the party, but wanted to add this bit:

Doing a smaller DM is a great idea for a start. Consider maybe (long term) doing a series of DM areas, following a similar theme. Rail shooters like time crisis come to mind..you are in a specific area for a bit of time, then move on to another. This would allow everyone to start very small scale, with the ability to tack if this works out this time.
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
  • NoCakeFourU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just looking at whats been posted here, it looks really sweet, but is it actually being made/worked on? Or is it all just airy fairy words atm? As well, I guess by DM, you mean Death Match? Because it looks really cool, and maybe you could do what (someone) posted a few pages back and integrate the models that are already floating around places like here and GA, because it means people can spend more time working on making the models, environments, and things work, rather than ending up spending all the time creating models, environments, AND mechanics. And if there's space for more, I'd love to help.
  • mayaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman polycounter lvl 10
    I'm in, absolutely :)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I want to help :).

Man Lets get it on! IM PUMPED!

I hope we make everything with a lot of detail ( like a lot of images to help the noobs ), that way we can have a dirty good datebase of info AND a wicked good end product.

IT's TIME!
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, the victorian london thing was supposed to be victorian london/disney, like cycloverid's banner.

This might be hard, but if we take several pieces from a couple of different people, and them ask them to explain their process taking something realistic and representing it how they did, then maybe we can teach people to copy a style. This may crash and burn, but it could also work quite well.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Awesome, this time I want to be in too!

It would also be fun to have two themes, one for each side. Like Team Fortress 2 has, but of course with different themes than Team Fortress 2.
    It wouldn't even be necessary for the 2 themes to match up in style. We could go for a "Who framed Roger rabbit" kind of world with a cartoon-ish (Jouste) style at one side and have a Victorian London style at the other side. Of course the middle would be a mix-up of the 2 themes.

This would require an art director to make sure everything fits together.

I realize while writing this that it might be a bit to complicated for a "small" and "simple" project. But I figured I might as well throw it out there, maybe it'll get you guys to think of something awesome :)
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to have some success, the project needs to be small:

-1 map
    -1 player
    -1 enemy
    -1 weapon

If the team can get that far, restart the cycle and you might get something that looks like an actual mod or a game.
  • MiNTO56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are just doing one map...
  • MystiqueX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Silly question, but what's the timeframe for this collaboration?... Weeks... months?
  • MiNTO56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    months more likely... its well to early to say.
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds great, will try and join in if times allows it :)
    quick theme idea:
    -David Gemmell universe, death match at Dros delnoch :)
    can be awesome lol
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any start date on this yet?

When this starts will everything be laid out or do we have to do that as a community?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Any start date on this yet?

When this starts will everything be laid out or do we have to do that as a community?

Im sure it will start a bit after the holidays. While some have it as more of a vacation for most its even more busy:-).

Im sure there will be a whole plqnning stage as usual:-)

P.s first phone post:-)
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    DKK wrote: »
    Yeah a third or first person shooter, right away someone specific needs to be put in charge. Will no one take charge? how about we thrust it on someone? someone with a 2004 join, Justin?

Obviously pending Jouste's Approval.

Heres some ideas, because I'm so keen on the Jouste-Verse, how about make a working Slaughterball game? slaughter_ball__02____degg___by_jouste.jpg

Or we could make a deathmatch FPS in the Jouste-Verse He's got so many weapons and characters to be harvested,

Playable Characters:
    Lazarus Legionnaire
    Annelidian
    Waldo Blackholsen
    Dyrt Soldier

Weapons:
    Lazarus Legionnaire Pistol (base gun)
    Annelidian Rifle (sniper rifle)
    Club Shot) (Shotgun)
    Dyrt Rifle (Assault Rifle)
    Rocket Sword (works like Halo Sword, maybe more propulsion like a jet pack)

This is gratuitously awesome.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I just want to get this started, no more waiting!
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that is REALLY cool... the physics video. as far as the project we should be going soon, just probably after the 1st of the year when everyone is back
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    @DKK this is great but requires a programmer and we dont need to waste time on that if we are all artist here.

Are we all just artists? Not one single solitary programmer?
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course we have programmers, but not all of them will want to participate in this project, and all of the work would end up loaded onto one person, which we cant let happen. And, if ANYONE here can do the work, then its more likely that the work will get done, rather than excluding a large chunk of the whole community.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Just a small simple suggestion. I've worked on several mods that were super ambitious and dreamt big (nothing wrong with that) but that dream can sometimes lead to it's downfall. Perhaps start with some sort of game hook, something that the game revolves around (forget about story, characters, worlds) what is the core interest that this game or demo has to offer?

So far it seems like this is leaning towards a DM map and this blood sport idea. What if you combine the two, Two teams battle it out to take possession of a ball (or what ever item it is) and works together to try and get it to the opposite end (similar to capture the flag)

Recently people have suggested using physics, imagine if there where barriers that the team can activate to try and prolong the other team getting to that point?

Simple ideas that can of course can be taken like a grain of salt. Hope it pans out well!

Edit:
    Just had another simple though, Bloodsport in a barren wasteland with debris played out by people with telekinesis powers? Could be interesting throwing objects at opponents to stop them?