Home Technical Talk

Hard surface robot character detailing questions

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Cortes polycounter lvl 6
Sup fellas. My questions pertain more to general workflow as I'm still a beginner but I'm interested in your opinions.

I have a base robot character created in Max, as you can see here.

viewport1.jpg

He's made up of many separate objects, so when I unwrapped him I could have the maximum focus on detail and uv space, unwrapping each part individually.

My question concerns how to go about detailing the mesh optimally.

Let's take a look at one piece of the model, the body, as you can see here:

viewport2.jpg
Pretty extreme mesh, right? :poly124:

I want to take this mesh and add all sorts of "greebled" hard surface details. Grooves, bolts, plates, that sort of thing. I want to add this sort of detail to most of the other parts of the model like the helmet and the arms.

From what I've learned so far, there are a multitude of ways I could go about it.

1. I could bake a normal map from a high poly also made in Max (the base mesh already has a turbosmooth so it isn't really "low poly" anymore, but for our purposes it is)
2. I could take this mesh into Zbrush and make a high poly that way and then bake normals.

Since I want to learn Zbrush, I am considering the second option more. Trying to add all those chamfered and beveled lines in max onto such a small mesh may give me more trouble than its worth (although I could use floaters) however I keep hearing that hard surface modeling in Zbrush is also pretty hard for a beginner like me (but 3.5 r3 has all these new tasty brushes for that exact purpose though...).

This character isn't for a game, just for animation.

So basically, what would you do in this situation?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You could just do the greebles in photoshop, and convert that to a normal map. Plenty of tools there (ndo, xnormal,etc), and it should be really quick to boot
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would personally do the high poly work for something like this in Max. If you are worried about the little details being a little much for you, then just do a basic turbosmoothed high poly of what you have here, bake those normals to get smoothed edges, and then add in all the little details in photoshop using a filter such as nDo.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the responses!

@Sean_EG The most important detail of what I'm going for are grooves to create the illusion of separate armor plates. I do in fact have nDo and am pleased with what it's capable of, but I'm not sure how to get a "negative" shape in it. Ndo is great for sculpting raised areas, but I haven't figured out how to "cut" in grooves with it into normal. It's probably really easy, but for some reason it hasn't "clicked" yet for me.

@cryrid: Are there any tutorials that explain what you mean? (Racer445's metal painting tutorials are great, by the way) I get the general idea and have painted diffuse maps in photoshop, but again, I'm not sure how the grooves would be created into the normal. Would I just literally paint in dark lines with highlights and then use that to create a normal/bump?

Here's an example of what I mean. My diffuse map for the robot's body with a crappy mspaint paintover, but it gets the idea across:

mspaintuvs.jpg

I'm gettng the impression that this would be easiest with nDo, but again, not sure how to engrave these simple lines in.

Again, thanks!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You basically create a height map. 50% gray is flat, black pushes in, white sticks out.
    http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9046/normalmapminitutrf7.jpg has a good example
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Ah, finally it starts making sense. Thanks for the mini tut!
    I'll update this thread with my progress soon.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, to get negative shapes in nDo, you should be able to just turn the depth slider to a negative value.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the help so far!

What I'm looking to do is what you see on this model:

1289510521089.jpg

More specifically, on the blue armored parts underneath this robot's eyes, you can see these indented grooves. That's what I'm trying to get.

Well, I fiddled around in photoshop for awhile, testing different selections and shapes before I reached this result:

normal map:
    robotbodynormalsample.jpg

Earlier, I made grooves with many different layers and "stroked" selections in Photoshop, but they only came out looking llike this:

ffuck.jpg

Sure, the normals worked right, but now I want to get a darker result from the concave grooves, and only got a soft imprint, even with the bump turned up considerably.

After making another grooves layer in photoshop and coloring it in black in the diffuse, I get this test render:

robotbodytestrender.jpg

Which is a little better, but I can't tell how much of it is just due to the diffuse which I painted.

Even then, it's still not exactly the result I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is to make a normal/bump/height map with edges deep enough that they will show up black, shadowy and recessed in the render due to the grooves from the normal map. I made the height map more or less like this (the final had more highlights on the dark edges):

heightmapsample.jpg

Which I converted to the normal you see above.

Overall, I'm still not satisfied. How will I get those darker recessed grooves without painting it in like I did in the diffuse? Do normal maps not interact with light in the ways I thought they do? I thought the grooves would reflect light and cast shadows from the illusion of extra geometry from the normal.

Lol, I'm still new to all of this, and I appreciate all the help so far.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This is what I get when converting your heightmap to a normal map using nvidia's photoshop filter, strength around 15. It is only the normal map applied, no diffuse or anything:
    greeble_nrm.jpg

It is possible you may need to invert the green channel of your normal map (I had to)
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I was using Xnormal's photoshop filters to get the normal map before, which wasn't giving me the dark definition I wanted (I believe I inverted the green channel there as well, so I have no idea why it wasn't working). Now, I converted the height map with nVidia's filter instead, which got results similar to yours, cryrid. After many, many test renders, I've reached this result:

robotbodysample.jpg

nvidia's normals get me that beveled look I wanted. I also painted in the grooves on the diffuse again to get that extra "pop"
    Overall, it's much better, but it could still be improved. Any suggestions are welcome.