Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

TRON - PLAYER - MICAH

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Micah polygon
OK thought i might give this a go.
This will be a learning experiance for me, so if any of you guys have any crits,
just shout. This isn't my first character but its is my first low poly character.

I'm planing to keep this guy really low poly and think im on the rite direction at just under 400 tris.

So here are some refs i pulled together.
tron_legacy_image_02-535x574.jpg
tron_legacy_image_01-535x518.jpg

Now for the model

sidewire.jpg

Next up is some props and then the uvs. I plan on mirroring most of the character to get the best out of my uvs.

I'll try to finish this!

Replies

• Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    So after been really busy i pushed myself to make some time to work on this ( I stayed up late lol )

I should mention that i haven't seen any of the Tron movies but will try to watch one soon, so im going by what i can see/find in pictures.

What I've done today is made the disk, a staff which i got from a refrence pic which i will put up, the thing the disk rests on on the back??? and I've also made the uvw map.

first off some more refs.

Needed to know what the thing on the back was.

tron-legacy-movie-image-the-end-of-the-line-club-1-600x480.jpg
    Tron-Legacy-Poster.jpg

The staff
    tron-orange-lightsuits.jpg

and the disk
    Tron-Legacy-Movie-Poster.jpg

OK!! now for the UVW map and the character in its current state lying at 614 tris.

I have the wires for this pic but i thought that the normals would show if theres anything that needs urgent atention.
    tronuvwmapnormals.png

The model.

tronmodeldone.png

speak your mind.
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    OOk...

some texturing done, but still have allot to do.

Heres my Tron Knight:

tronmodeltexturing.png

Fixed the uvw under the chin, still have to do/ havent touched the feet, hands and staff.
  • Sammuelsama
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Can't tell exactly from this angle, but the disk seems very unoptimized. And the head is alienishly thin.
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Here's a picture of the disk:

diskz.jpg

I'll agree with you that the disk is unoptimized with comparason to the character but all togethere it's lying at 590 tris so im not to worried about it, might change it later though.

as for the head i completely agree with you and the main reason I think it looked thin is because of the low amount of tris in that area and because of that it looked flat.

heads0.jpg

Is this any better? planning to fix the uvw at the top so excuse.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I could be wrong but I think you have some mip mapping going on there, the texture looks to blurred for what I believe is not 512. Maybe check your viewport settings and the texture memory setting. Like in Max these settings matter:
    maxviewporttexsettings.gif
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I don't get why you have 2 different models for the disk?
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Snader: Sorry the one on the right is the disk and the other is the thing the disk goes on on the back.

renderhjs: Your not wrong I thought I'd already set those settings but thats on my other computer, its fixed now.

I have done abit more but I was to busy watching the rugby...
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    So I haven't posted in a while, been realy busy at collage and running but that put aside i decided to try rigging posing for the first time, glad im learning allot from this challange AND MAY I LEARN SOME MORE.

So here's my wire/edit view:

yeaboy.png

606 tris not including the pedastool.

Not to sure what I'm gonna do for my bueaty shot, but i do have an idear on the ingame shot, it will be a 3rd person top down view, almost like the Nintendo DS game.

Has the finish date increased to dec 25 or am i goin blind?

Now crit, crit and crit some more!
  • Arkhange
    For a 606 tris model, it looks pretty good.
    Maybe add some more light (global lighting to a better read of the volumes and shapes) in your texture and it will be perfect.
    The "alveoles" pattern on your pedestal bother me in the way the lines are not really clean. Maybe just use the Line tools in Photoshop to have some nice and clean contour.
    And just slighty downscale it, it seams to be pretty big right now. With the downscale you also can provide some closer shot of your model, here you waste some space on your wireshot due to this to big pedestal.
    Good luck and the challenge closes Dec 17th FYI
    Keep it up !
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    you wrote "edito view" missing a 'r' there. The viewport grab looks slightly down sampled which makes it blurry.
    I guess the views could be nicer, one is straight from the side (no 3/4 view) and the other ones basically straight from the front or back. Maybe think about composition like where should the weight of the composition be, do you want to place accents on certain things like a heavy weight on the legs or something more dynamic?
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Arkhange : thanks for the crits, i will take what you said into acount and change things up pronto. As for the finish date the main thread now says 27 Dec deadline, so abit of confusion there for me.

renderhjs: ughh didn't even see that spelling mistake will fix that for next shot.
    As for the views i wasn't to sure what to do there because its my first time doing this, but thats no excuse so i will have a look at what otheres have done with there shot and what you have said and make it look as awesome as possible.

Thanks for the crits guys i really appreciate it, will get working on this as soon as i get back from collage.
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    1.global lighting - not done yet
    2."alveoles" cleaned - done
    3.pedastool smaller -done
    4.fix spelling mistake - done
    5.add weight/pose? - not done yet
    6.diffrent views -not done yet but will do after global lighting and after 5.

"think about composition like where should the weight of the composition be, do you want to place accents on certain things like a heavy weight on the legs or something more dynamic?"
    Not to sure how to add weight to it but will look up some animation tuts im sure i will learn abit how to do that and learn abit about animation at the same time.

pedastool and me learning about weight and center of balance, starting to get used to moving him around, also seems that i need to make a few cuts in the body to make him animate properly:

monkeyw.png

cleaner/better?

If theres anything that looks off, please tell me because i'd like to improve... thanks
  • riivan
    I like where this is going, but if the model is still just over 600 tris you should add in the extra 400. If you've got a budget of 1024 you need to hit that.
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Just a ingame mockup WIP picture for now...

mockupwip.png

Just so that you can see the idears floating about in my brain, not done yet though.

Obviouse things to do like the walls, floor on the other side and under view background... don't have to stress because of the deadline extension...
  • Arkhange
    Your improvement looks great.
    I should admit that I'm not a big fan of your "kung-fu monkey style" posing.
    I don't think it fit really well with the Tron universe, plus the pose looks a bite weird.
    If you want to keep a dynamic/cool pose with the stick, I think you can search in this direction :
    Kilik.jpg
    kilik_xianghua_003.jpg

You can search some video on Youtube of Kilik from SoulCalibur.

Your MockUp looks like a good idea, maybe try to have a camera who target more the horizon, the view is too zenithal right now and don't enhanced your character in the good way.
    Good luck !