Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Rifle

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
Made this model for some practice. It's based off of concept art I just found via google images:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs18/f/2007/143/6/7/Assault_rifle_by_jimsvanberg.jpg
I'd appreciate any critique. :)

WpY-r202.jpg

Normal and AO bake only
Wp_-r20nor.jpg

Ortho View
Wq0-r20ortho.jpg

Normal and AO bake with Wireframe
Wq2-r20wire.jpg

2246 polys
Made in Blender 2.49.

Replies

• Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    The texture is really letting this piece down! The bake looks greeat but the textured version does not. It looks muddy and has a concrete feel instead of metal. You should simplify the texture abit, less random noise and more thought put into were its dirty and scratched, im guessing your speccmap isnt doing what it should right now. Could you post flats ?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    I see what you mean. I went over and took some of the grunge layers off, and brought them down in intensity. I also revised the glowing effect some. Is this any better you think?

Wrb-r20e.jpg

Also, what are flats? I'm new to the lingo.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool work, man. The model looks sweet!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    I think he just means just pictures of the actual texture files, mostly the spec. The model looks great, i think maybe trying to differentiate the materials a bit more would help, like the grips, could maybe look more rubber or something, the second textured version looks better already
  • CrackRockSteady
    I'm with martin, the model looks bad ass, but the textures are lacking. Is this rendered in Blender as well? The textures certainly aren't bad, but the materials need some work. I'd say push the spec, maybe get some reflection going as well. Maybe throw it in UDK (unless this is already an unreal render)

Great start though!