Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - Karl K

I thought I would finally give posting my stuff on this site a shot. I'm fairly new to 3d art but its what I really want to do so Im looking to improve and get Crits. I know that my web site is not that great, I just whipped it up quick so i would have some where to post my stuff. Im mostly looking on Crits on the content how to improve it and what else I should make. Im looking to become a low poly modeler for Iphone and Ds type games.

Www.Karlkujak.com

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The proportions on your characters are pretty bad, that is a big area I would recommend focusing on going forward. Also your models are very unoptimized, there are a lot of edge loops that are unnecessary, especially in your props. I would also recommend rendering them in a game engine like Marmoset instead of the flat Maya renders.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    adding on what Predator said, I would suggest upping your polycount, your props are at the point where someone could say, painfully low-poly.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Just keep working on your art. It's too soon for you to be concerned with a portfolio. Put characters on the backburner and start a new environment project, such as a scene from one of your favorite games that represents what you want to be. Get a thread going on that and focus on that for a while.
  • kkujak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have made multiple environments before, but i feel like my texturing is to weak to ever post any of it. Is there any where I can learn how to make more professorial textures?
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    If you were to start a thread here, showing what you've got so far, people could chip in with advice about that particular texture work. Maybe show your church and revamp it over the course of a thread?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I disagree on using more polies - if you are really bent on working for DS/iPhone games you're off fine with lowpoly stuff. In fact I'd say work lower poly - especially on the characters. If you're aiming for low spec stuff, this thread and the lowpoly thread are interesting for you.

But mostly - you'll need to improve the quality of the work. I don't really care whether you use 500 or 50.000 polygons on a character, as long as you use them well. SOme of your images have so many wasted polygons it's not even funny. For instance, the 3 vats with a tube between them: why do you have so many loops in it that literally do nothing for the model? And your textures lack love. A lot of love. They look as if you just cut and pasted photos of 'concrete' 'wood' and 'metal' and called it a day.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed the polycount seems correct for iPhone/DS platforms. However even with your polycount the proportions on your models don't seem correct to my eye. Also include wires!

I know you said you've only just whipped it up, but work on the website, it's all in the presentation, some people will only take on look at your website so make sure it sells you well!