Home Technical Talk

uvw mapping max

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
So just curious how people uvw map, ive been using planar map stich alot and it seems really time consuming, i was wondering if there is a fast way in max, or with additional tools to uvw map, or if im stuck stitching.

this site is basically where i learned uvw mapping and i havent changed my process much except for the rules dealing with normal maps.

ive heard of textools and am currently experimenting with it, although it seems very similar to max's default tools.

deep uv i have heard of also but im not sure if its good for hard surfaces.

heres a link to the tutorial where i learned how to uvw map

podship_checkers.jpg

http://www.waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html

Replies

• jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I, personally use TexTools and I love it. Makes the UV Unwrap window a lot easier to see as well as the lineup tools. They definitely help me.

If the iron button doesn't work, I just use MAX's default mapping tools to get the best shape and go from there, always comparing back to the model.

Your map looks pretty good so far. Unfortunatly, there is no real fast way to map, if you want it done right, you're going to have to put in the time.

I haven't had experience using other unwrap tools, as I have gotten quite comfortable using MAX unwrapping, but TexTools has really helped.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like you just used 'planar' on some of those pieces and called it done...
    You should look into the Relax tool to fix that. If you crank up the iteration and amount settings, it's quite capable of unfolding relatively complex stuff too.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    If you're willing to spend a little bit of money, Xray Unwrap has a really nice workflow, but it's basically the same unwrapper found in Silo and Blender.

Nice to see Waylon's tutorial make an appearance again, I learned unwrapping from it back with max 5 and decided 3D was too tedious for me. :p
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick planar map a piece, define your seam by selecting a loop/edge, break (ctrl-b) and relax (r). It's like a fast pelt unwrap. Straighten edges and call it a day.

Flatten Unwrap with a high angle threshold, stitch a few pieces.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    hmm theres an edge align, i need to find that, and thanks for all the feed back. i just need to be quicker with the hot keys i guess.