Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Frog from Chrono Trigger Redux

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
NECRO'D!

Current Progress
CRfBM.jpg

So i signed up for the Game Characters with ZBrush class over at cgsociety, taught by Jon Rush. The assignment for the class is to take a retro game character and bring that character to the current gen. I picked Frog because he's a cool character and i wanted to do something that hasn't already been done like Mario or Samus.

The first one is a shot of Frog from the animated cutscenes and second is just the concept and his block in.

H0b6V.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool.

Looks like a good start so far. Looks like your concept is a little off from the screenshot of him. You may be changing it up a bit on purpose, but if you aren't there are some noticeable differences in clothing, and you made him a little too chesty/buff.

Your Zbrush grab looks pretty spot on to the concept. Your feet seem a little small (not sure if its from the Zbrush perspective) and your hands are definitely too small. Your fingers are the size of one finger joint in the concept.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks gsokol

Yeah, i wanted to update the original and kind of put my own spin on him. So the proportions being off is on purpose :D Giving him a little more attitude and such.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update of what i did today, worked on the proportions more and fixed up the arms. and now with whiskers!

frog_wip_0035.jpg
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!
    I dig the whiskers, but it gives a sort of cat-fish style feel to it (in my opinion). Even though the original ref has whiskers, I would still tone them down a bit.
    I would also like to see some leather straps holding onto the armor at some point.
    I love the form and how it's all coming together though.
    Now get back to work!
    :p
  • uneditablepoly
    Gotta say, I love the form and the face. He looks like he has a lot of personality!

And Andrew just said almost exactly what I was going to say; tone down the whiskers just a bit. Maybe make them less wide and a little longer. At the moment they seem to stick out a bit too much and almost read as weird extensions of skin rather than whiskers.

Other than than, awesome work so far! Keep at it!
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update, doodling armor and tried getting some glove action going, was thinking of making the gloves somewhat plated, not a full-on gauntlet. Or should i try for the full armored gauntlet?

I've been learning 3ds max along the way so that's why there is a lack of updating. Armor shall be coming soon.

dfE6d.jpg?9247

zyoKC.jpg?8143
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mackie - yeah, straps will be coming once i get the armor set. I really want to make him look more like a traveler but still battle ready, which means more leather than metal. That scene of your's is coming along man. I'll talk to you soon about it

uneditablepoly - Thanks! and yes, the whiskers bother me as well. the original character has them, but wondering if i might just cut them out all together. I'll play with the size a little more
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY Update!

Been trying to keep on track, lost some time for the holiday. But here's where I'm at as of right now.

Here's a block in of the armor, most is just place holders. Not too sure how to tackle the traveler's cloak he's wearing.
    a80jE.jpg

Update of head sculpt. Getting to the point of adding in all the fine detail and such
    fkLYp.jpg

The position of the head is the dilemma I'm at right now. The top set is how it's been.
    L7Cpf.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Nice, I also had somewhat of a same idea for a character but ended up with something else.
    I'm loving the concept and wat you have so far :D The neck area seems a little too tight for me, unable to move his neck around as much. It does look better with him facing straight on ^^
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nerf - yeah, I wanted to switch him up. Either short and squat or more human like but with really long legs like if you stood a frog up on its hind legs. and with the head, that's what i was kind of thinking, so i lowered it a little, but not too much.

Jungsik - thanks :) the neck area is what i've been struggling with for this whole project. I really wanted to keep the arc from his shoulder pads over his head, so i kept it low. Because otherwise i would have to make the shoulder pads huge to compensate, and it looked really off.

So here's some more updates, started on the boots and pants, and been trying to get some detail going.

1mwo6.jpg

was just trying to figure out how i was going to do the detail
    FMDt8.jpg

second attempt, turned out way too geometric and gridded out
    3IPrf.jpg

so i'm going to try a combination of the 2 detail pics, the random warts with the nice stress lines between them.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shield wip, still can't figure out what to put in the middle >_<

ZG3qS.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    shield wip, still can't figure out what to put in the middle >_<

a fly.
    or a crown.

nice progress so far :)
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nerf - yeah i agree, it's not chaotic enough to look natural, it's what i'm working on now.

divi - fly is a solid candidate, and i like the crown. Also in the animated cutscenes for the game, there is a flag with a dragon on it in the castle that frog walks out of. So might try all of those as well as this idea my teacher for the class, jon rush, drew up! which is crazy and i'll be trying it out. It's supposed to be a frog's mouth open with a giant spike coming out o_0

sCjjm.jpg
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Excellent work. I for one can't wait to see this when it's finished.
  • UnstoppableTank
    oh man, its certainly coming along now, keep up the good work! Definitely look forward to seeing this finished piece.

Is this your first time using Zbrush, or have you dabbled in it before the class that you're in now?
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matt- Thanks man, appreciate it

UnstoppableTank- Thanks :) and no, this isn't my first time using zbrush, been using it for a few years now. Took the class to better my skills within the character pipeline.

update, here's that shield

byMX4.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Now that's a cool shield design! XD I really like that frog head you put in the middle, it's intriguing.
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn man! This is coming along great.
    The texture work on the skin is coming along so well. I can't wait to see how the normal maps comes out, definitely post your workflow on that.
    Shield is going great, I'd start thinking about texture for it as well. Is it going to be made of wood or metal or both?
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, keep it up! that frog skin is going to look cool when you're done
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    lol this is awesome. I love it. Will be keeping an eye on this one :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Awesome stuff. Makes me wonder what a realistic version of Chrono Trigger would look like. (Well, as realistic as can be.)
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jessica,nullfed,bigjohn - thanks!

mackie - yeah dude, ill see what i can do with the normal map process. The shield i think would be cool with the main portion being wood with a metal rim. But not sure. most likely will be all metal though... but if i go with wood i'm hitting alot of different materials with one character...hmm...

habboi - thanks! i know right? i wouldn't mind seeing a realistic Magus, who was my second choice for a character if i didn't go with Frog.

ok, so here's an armor update, played around with noise, fun stuff!

hb3mn.jpg

also throwing in the ugly attempt shot of the top of his cape. Going to be redoing this for sure. Anyone have a good way of making layered cloth like this? Im kind of going for how the capes looked in 300.

JE3qu.jpg

And here's an update on his gloves, found a good ref of some welding gloves

aac3Y.jpg
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    This is coming along great. Love the shield design
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dloud - thanks :)

so here's a new "where i'm at shot" did a little modification to the arm proportions, and tried to give a little more love to the mouth/lips area. Trying to make it look more like hanging skin. Geez i need to get that sword done... still trying to figure out the cape as well. Going to go back over the pants, i was told "not to be such a p@#$y" and be bolder with the wrinkles/folds lol. And that pouch is harder than i expected to sculpt. Probably will just do the whole thing in maya.

u1KZ3.jpg
  • achillesian
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Hey!! =) Nice where you're at right now. The density of detail is the first thing that catches my eye. So much detail on his actual skin, but lacking in other spots. I'm willing to bet you'll get to that though. And for the gloves, maybe more of a less smoothed surface? Right now it seems to me like you're going for a leather? Unless that was intended, I'd give the gloves a little more love.

One suggestion for the feet I'd give, is since he's a frog, maybe have the shoes be expanded in both directions perpendicular to the way they're pointing...because frogs have wide, podded feet! Another reason for doing this would be to support the fact that he is so large and weighty, that those tiny feet might be a problem for him to stand up... =D
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so between going home for the holidays and not having internet for the past week, it's been awhile since i've updated. But I have been working!

Just wanted some crit on how to break up the high poly for the low res. Did a quick color coding. But I'm not sure of the best way to handle the cape. Should it be it's own geo? Should i separate out the shoulder pads? (which i forgot to put the straps in for this image >___<)

95IJx.jpg
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so just went ahead and started the retopo process. About done with the body. still need to put his belt buckle, pouch, and maybe even the belt on him. At 6673 tris currently. Trying to keep the entire model under 10k. So i have about 3k tris to play with for the weapons. what do you guys think so far?

zJxUL.jpg

New question. Not sure what i can get away with for the buckles. was going to try something like this, maybe even just an alpha'd plane. Any suggestions?
    g3Cwz.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    coool stuff, man. <3 chrono trigger, and i really like the direction you're taking this guy!

oh, and as a general rule, if it doesn't need to break up the silhouette, might as well let the normal maps take care of the straps.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah I agree with eazy. Bake the normals into the side of the armor.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Looking pretty neat.
  • threesidedpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    threesidedpolygon polycounter lvl 5
    This is top notch man, great to see a character like Frog reimagined like this. I look forward to seeing the end result!
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy/specsowl/donavonyoung/threesidedpolygon - Thanks! I want to finish him, like him too much.

So with the straps, yeah, I'll do that next time for sure. Just want to finish this one. See way too much that I would change now, and don't want to spend that much more time on him. But here's a revisit to him with a base texture. Still need to add in the belt. But will throw color variation in next round.

Been watching Daphz stream, love the process he goes over with just using gradient maps and masked hugh/sat layers. Also, this is just diffuse/normal. no spec in there yet.

CRfBM.jpg

Also tried playing with xoliul but couldn't get the look that I have in Marmoset.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! The subtle gradient map is looking good.