Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

TRON - VEHICLE - Baddcog

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
OK, I'm in.

Always loved the tron game with the bikes and tanks.

So of course gotta go with a bike. But gotta throw a spin on it too.

tron_vespa_proof.jpg

Needs uv'ed, the materials are just placeholder for now.

Replies

• Wicked Designs
    Great work, all it needs now are some textures.
  • BluntPencil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TRON'd Vespa. Epic. Just epic. I love it. Can't wait to see where you take this.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    could be really cool!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, a bit more work.

Think I got it uved pretty clean. Mirrored the front panel as it will be most visible (with player on it) and it'll be a-sym.

Really quick test for line flow, not too happy with it but only took about 5-10 minutes. After all the uv time I had to see some kindof tex in place. Still have some tris left, but not sure if I want to add any more anyway.

Going with a single 512, not sure how this model would benefit from 2 as I'm mirroring and cloning the wheel (which can barely be seen, so no need for ultra detail there anyway. Also plan on using it (variations of the base model) for another project, and I don't want 2 512's for that project (most likely that'll be a 1024)

vespa2.jpg

One thing I'm noticing between films/concept work.

Tron 1 - all the vehicles are only representations of vehicles. Like a simplistic digital representation. They didn't have tires, just geometry that suggested tires. And that really fits the bill for how they are used (hold handlebar, vehicle digitizes around you).

Tron 2 - They went with more real world vehicles. They actually seem to have rubber tires, metal bodies. Doesn't really fit with the digitize thing as well.
    But it looks more like the energy from the character flows into the vehicle through the lines, so that's the digital connection. Tron 1 didn't have that.

This is deffinately taking the characteristics of Tron 2 on more than Tron 1.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Imo you could and should spend some more minutes on your uvmap. It looks quite distorted in some areas - especially the front wheel.
    The idea is mighty cool, though :poly136:
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, was kindof tossed up on the wheel itself, planar from the side and deal with a little stretch or cylindrical and deal with a little stretch. (I think the wheel is fine as is- it can barely be seen anyway)).

I think it's actually the front bumper you're seeing as distored, and you're right, looking at it fresh with crits and it does seem more stretched than it did after an hour or so of unwrapping late at night.
    Good thing is I traded a little art for a control script and the unity side-project is coming along nicely. Hopefully I'll have the model finished along with a tron scooter unity web game.