Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 3 Barbarian WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. I'm taking a Game Art Workshop and thought I'd post up the end of each week here to kind of have an overview of the course. Here's where I'm up to so far in blocking out the characters anatomy. Face needs a lot of tlc.

week2zbc.jpg

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Block ins look pretty good, but I'm no expert. Hopefully some more seasoned anatomists will chime in.

Do you have any concepts, paint overs, or sketches that illustrate where this is headed exactly?

Might help you get some valuable feedback early on.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Nice!!!!!!! I will be lookin forward to dis <_< I would like to see some concept as well Heehe
  • Vinterdragen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vinterdragen polycounter lvl 12
    Yay! Waiting more!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe its just me, but the legs seem stumpy, or the arms too long, or both...?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice start!

It may just be the angle the shots are taken from but depending on how much his arms are bent, they may be too short. The insertion point on the bicep also looks a bit odd, like it should narrow off a bit earlier.

The upper leg is too thick/wide. The Vastus Lateralis is also covered by the Ilotibial Band which would be part of what is superficially visible.

Iliotibial-band-syndrome.jpg

Lower legs are too short, and the muscles at the back of the lower leg (gastrocnemius) might
    be a little on the large side.

EDIT: the whole leg might be a little short I think, although the width of them might be making them look shorter than they really are.
  • Bon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bon
    That caught my eye too. They appear a little short, think the arms are ok, it may just be the perspective. Maybe it's just the hench quads fooling my eyes.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome. This is the kind of feedback that really helps. I'll post up ortho shots next update so it's easier to judge proportions.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    did a little paintover for you ;)
    week2zbc.gif
  • Bon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bon
    Yeh that is a vast improvement, I like it, your off to a good start.

Also I am sure you may have boots or something covering the calves, but if they are on show or you have strap sandals take a look at this ref... imo the calves need a little more detail as everything else has been given great attentiuon, other than that I am impressed. Good work :)
    calves-calf-exercise-muscle-picture.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oo way better with that paintover!! :D
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Worked on crits I recieved from you guys. That paintover helped a ton, thanks jeremiah.

week3.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <_< are you workin with concepts? if you do please post !!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using these to get the anatomy down. Head still needs a lot of work. Gonna start blocking out armor now though. Going with the bottom right for armor design.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9477/diabloiiiconcept87sm.jpg
  • d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! Are you gonna put in any of those bulging veins? I think that would really sell this piece.
  • Bon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bon
    7th is my fave, asymetrical ftw :) Aye the veins will add some great detail and visual display of the characters potential strength. More so in the bicep area and forearms, as I can see your probably going to cover the legs up.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GOGOOGOGO~ good luck :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    No Problem!
    I think you are getting the forms down pretty good now. The only thing really bothering me is that everything feels kinda blobby. He has no definition. And so he is looking like a bodybuilder who quit taking his roids... and his skin is now kinda drooping.
    Tighten up his quads, calfs, ankles/heel, and forearms and I think everything should feel pretty solid.
    Keep it up man!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys. Little update, been working on blocking in the armor. Haven't had too much time but I have a day off tomorrow so I plan to dive into it. Gonna try to get everything laid out then do a detail pass over everything to tighten it up.

week4p.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    legs seem a little big to me, and with that codpiece thing, it gives the illusion that they're even bigger than they are.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooo update <_< I like
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizzard's style is over the top, so I find natural that his muscles are exagerated even though this is a more realistic piece.

On top of that, I think this is gonna rock. Armor blocking seems great.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Update. I'm getting a weird viewport glitch when certain objects are too close to others. Only happens in perspective view. Not really sure how to fix it.

week5.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like z-fighting. Do you have some distance between those flickering polygons? Maybe scaling the object up or down could fix it.
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    woaaa so cool :)

Can't wait to see this finished :poly124:
    Are you going to bake it to a low poly ?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    week60.jpg

Yeah the hands need to be worked over definitely. Still lot of work to do on just about everything. Need to work on the lowpoly pretty soon though. Who needs sleep haha
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Nice :) He might not see so well with that helmet, thought about adding a horizontal opening around the eyes?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Lower the distance between the near and far clip-plane on the camera. Depending on the scale of the scene either bring the far plane closer or the near plane further away from the the camera.

Edit: oops, didn't see there was another page to the thread. Anyway, that was in regard to the clipping issue on the first page.

Model looks real nice :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, thanks for the tip about Zfighting.

Drakon - For the helmet I was looking at the concept and realized there was no way he could possibly see out of it haha. I played around with it but it didn't look as menacing with the slits more open.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Some updates. Hard surface stuff looks so simple but good lord is it taking me a while to get the hang of.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy! Your barb is coming along very well :D May i suggest the front end of your helmet, it looks a little undefined? Its sticking out to me >_< It would be cool if it was hard edged as well, I'm guessing you figured it out by now though.

Looks really good !
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Starting the lowpoly now. The head doesn't have too much since it's getting the helm over it, but the shoulder needs a lot of help. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. :)

week61.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In general, I think you could economize alot better. The amount of geo you have going on in the arms and the shoulders, and partly the chest, seems to be almost twice of what is required.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Id make it possible to show his head without the helmet or you should not be putting any triangles there at all... whats the point? Dont cut corners you are only gonna regret it later.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Been working on the topology but having a lot of trouble. Trying to optimize it to get him under 10k and keep the silhoutte. Body is at 4100 tris so far. Does anything stand out as unnecessary?

Normal map is test bake. Having trouble in the areas where two objects meet.

normals1wire.jpg

normals1wire2.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    how did you make the highpoly straps and fit them perfectly on the arm?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I created NURBS circles in maya to fit the arm then went to Surfaces > Loft to make the bands. Then you go to modify > convert nurbs to polys.

I found the problem with the armor. I had the normals reversed for some parts of the armor.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I noticed you dont have much effort put into the back.

to be nitpicky recheck your shoulder anatomy the front deltoid doesnt hook up that way, try to put some upper pec definition in there with the delt/chest. that always looks cool.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Feel free to be as harsh as possible. I really want this to be a strong portfolio peice. :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Still trying to figure out the lowpoly and normal maps. Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Using Auto UVs for now until everything looks sort of right. Still some janky areas.

normals2.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking pretty cool so far, but there is some uneveness to your normal map render that I think you can easily fix by evening out your edgeloops a bit, triangulating twisted quads, and rebaking. Leaving quads twisted like that can produce some unpredictable results unless you're baking within Maya as well, and even then this is no guarantee it will look correct in the game engine.

Some of your topology is kind of odd (like where the neck meets the trapezius), and I wonder if you would be better off keeping the armor separate from his skin.

The straps on his arms are pretty wobbly, and that kind of stuff always stands out to me as a result of a sloppy mesh or render (or both). I think the high res model is looking good though so I'm looking forward to the results of the rest of the bakes.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback! Your newest model is awesome. How do you get everything looking so clean?

I made a list and tried going over everything you said. Still a lot of work to do to get the normal maps looking right, though.

week8z.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think a clean model requires a couple of things. I'm definitely not an authority on this stuff, but here are things I keep in mind:

The mesh should be pretty evenly distributed. Of course you want more divisions where there is detail/deformation and less where there is not, but generally speaking long triangles/quads might be areas that need more attention. I think perhaps you're over complicating your mesh flow in some areas, so sometimes it's a good idea to take a step back and simplify. Quads are good, but you have to be careful of twisted quads as mentioned before.

Double check your low poly mesh and make sure that it's clean. All verts welded, UV layout is taking into account normal map quirks, normals are unlocked and softened (unless there's a very specific reason not to such as extreme angle changes on the model, etc.). Maya has a tendency to lock normals on meshes imported as .obj files so it's good practice to run Unlock normals, Set to Face, Soften before baking. I suspect this is why you're getting some artifacts on your render where you can see incorrectly shaded triangles.

I think I see some slight normal map seams where the arm meets the shoulder. When it's that subtle it may be a result of one of your UV shells being inverted in relation to the other. When arranging UV shells, in many cases it's perfectly fine to transform them in any way you want, but you probably want to avoid flipping a UV shell unless the borders are hidden well enough that the slight seam is of no consequence. This isn't to say that you can't mirror your UVs because obviously one half is going to have to be considered flipped, but you want it to be consistent per half.

Try rendering multiple normal maps if different settings work better for some areas than others. You can composite them together later for the best results. It's also worth trying to bake using different applications (Xnormal, Maya's Transfer Maps, etc.). I've noticed that the results can vary, and you can use that to your advantage depending on the situation.

In most cases, your normal mapped model should look identical to your high resolution model (except for the more polygonal silhouettes, of course). I think taking some extra time at this stage goes a long way to creating the impression of crispness.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Tried going over everything you said. Hopefully the changes are visible on the model. Still using Automatic UVs for now. The Arm/Body is seperate for now until I get things looking better. I wanted to mirror them over to save on texture space.

The biggest issue I'm having is I tried making some of the armor look worn but I feel like it's just coming across muddy.

week9.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I think you're at the point where you should really consider moving onto creating some diffuse and spec maps, mostly hand painted but certainly don't be shy about using photo's for a base. It's easy to spend too much time in zbrush especially as someone new to character art without knowing how to make all that time worth it. You can spend tons of time adding little nicks and crannies to metal all over the place for hours, but if all you want is generic grunge that can easily be added with X-normals in photoshop simply by putting a grunge texture over your UV's and then isolating where you want the grunge using masks and such. Particularly if you want this to be in blizzard's style, i would recommend getting it into photoshop and worry more about getting some nice tones and colors that match the original concept, learn how to build up your diffuse, spec and normal maps together to make the most out of all three.

Oh and don't be afraid to literally cut and paste from the concept art and warp it over the UVs in photoshop to get an idea of tones and colors. Even use them as blend layers to stay true to the concept on top of photo reference if you want.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It took a while but I got the UVs layed out and most of the normal and AO maps done. Still need to finish the hands and not really crazy about how the horns turned out, but definitely learned a lot.

Gonna start with diffuse now.

uvsdone.jpg
  • Builder_Anthony
    The muscles look exceptionaly good.To me anyways im new.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Worked most things out. Question on the horns though. I tried keeping as much of the silhoutte as possible, but I think I may have overdone it. Together they come in at 850 tris. Should they be a lot lower? Without them I'm at 7,000.

poly2t.jpg

hornspoly.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    UVs and normals done. Starting with texturing.

normalsf.jpg