Home› General Discussion

Dominance War V and other challenges - seeking info

Hi, everyone. I was hoping to gain a better understanding of how to join and participate in the upcoming Dominance War V. Please forgive me if these questions have been answered here already, but I hunted through GameArtisans and tried to search here, but only saw a single thread about Dominance War V here - which hasn't been posted in for awhile. While I'm not very active here, I've been lurking around Polycount ever since I got into CG, and am very excited about competing alongside you guys for the first time. Anyways, here are my main questions/concerns:

1. HOW DO I JOIN THE POLYCOUNT DOMINANCE WAR V TEAM AND ENTER THE ACTUAL COMPETITION?
I was expecting to see a main Dominance War V thread somewhere on the forums here where people could post to join the team, or at least a bunch of individual threads for each contestant, but have seen neither. From what I've read, people are supposed to post on the forum that they want to compete with, as well as go to DominanceWar.com and register there to receive their personal submission link or something. Could someone please be kind enough to walk me through this process?
2. IS IT NECESSARY TO BE SIGNED UP BY THE DATE OF THE NOVEMBER 8th MINI-CHALLENGE IN ORDER TO COMPETE IN THE MAIN CHALLENGE?
It seems that participation in the mini-challenge is optional for those who want to be in the main competition, but is the sign-up date for the main competition November 8th, 2010 or will there be another sign-up for the competition that starts in January?
Well, I think that about covers my Dominance War concerns. I really appreciate any help you guys can give. I don't want to seem like I'm taking this too seriously, as it is all about learning and personal growth as an artist, but I also don't want to miss out on the fun - especially since it seems like these competitions will be spread further and further apart in the future.

I also have one non-DW question that seems appropriate to put here. I'm always seeing people compete in cool contests from places like CGSociety, GA, here, etc. but I almost always catch the news when that particular contest is finishing up (recent example being the ComiCon challenge). Is there a centralized location to check for the start of these various challenges? I heard that CGHub does this, but haven't seen where they post it. I try to check the individual sites themselves, but - like I said - never seem to get in early enough to compete. Any info would be great. Thanks, again, for help on these topics and all the help I've received from Polycount over the years. Keep it real.

Replies

• samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when it starts you will be able to post a thread. You dont need to sign-up to anything, just chill.
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, ok. So the competition starts, you can make a thread and start working, and anytime between the start of the competition and the deadline you can get your "Personal Entry Page" from DominanceWar.com?

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight, Sam. I assure you that I am chillin' out max and relaxin' all cool, just excited for my first DW.

Any advice on my other challenges question?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty much how it works. You make your thread on the Polycount forum and then link to it through the sign-up page on Dominancewar.com. There's no particular time frame that you need to do that in. You'll quite often see people dropping in to compete in the last week or two of the comp.

With regards to competitions, it really is just a matter of keeping an eye on the various forums. GA lists all the currently running comps on the side bar of the forum page which makes it pretty easy to track. CG Society has a sub set of forums for challenges about half way through the list. Our comps tend to be announced in general discussion and spring up spontaneously, so you need to keep your eyes open.
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coolness. Thanks, Jack. Appreciate you taking the time to clear it up for me.